PDA

View Full Version : Tips for making a Live php application CD with Knoppix?

garubi
09-22-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi all,
I'm planning to remaster Knoppix to release a LiveCD featuring a php-mysql based application.
It's something like a CMS system.

The goal is to provide a system with a nice graphical interface (KDE it's ok), with apache, php and mysql running from the startup and a browser window opening on the "home page" of my application.

Obviously I need to create and populate database and tables, setting the right config in apache and installing all my php files in the home dir.

This way I can provide to those interested in my application an easy test suite even without an internet connection.

While I'm sure there 'll no problem in making this, first I would like to hear your tips and suggestions, if any...

... so I'm listening :)
anyone? :lol:

cchuang
09-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Hi,

I had remastered a Live PHP based on Zope but not Apache. There are several reasons for me to do so:

1. Zope/Python is an independent "system" to export.
2. Since Zope supports webDAV and its famous "CMS", users can easily write their code, test and manage too.
3. Almost without difficulty, the PHP code can be executed under Zope via its "PHParser" product. And they can incorperate with other Python objects.

cch

Ambrose
09-25-2003, 12:51 AM
Hi

I STRONGLY suggest that you configure/make/make install php, apache, and mysql from sources.

I'm activly working on a project that reguires php/apache/mysql on Knoppix, and the php that comes with Knoppix is unacceptable.

Oh yeah, the php binary is not included either!
whereis php
php:

- Ambrose

garubi
09-25-2003, 08:45 AM
Hi

I'm activly working on a project that reguires php/apache/mysql on Knoppix, and the php that comes with Knoppix is unacceptable.
- Ambrose

Thanks! :)
but can you explain better why the php that comes with knoppix is unacceptable? :roll:

rneff
09-25-2003, 01:54 PM
I am also attempting a project in which I run a PHP app from a live CD. At this point I am still working on my first basic remaster.

I would love to know what is wrong with the php version that comes with knoppix. If it does not have the php binary, what does it have? Everything else?

bohm2009
10-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi all,
Obviously I need to create and populate database and tables, setting the right config in apache and installing all my php files in the home dir.

While I'm sure there 'll no problem in making this, first I would like to hear your tips and suggestions, if any...

Hi!

Whatever everyone said about compiling from source... I don't get it. I simply downgraded mysql to 3.23, modified httpd.conf, installed php-gdlib and was happy.

For the databases you simply have to copy the mysql-directories to your source/var/lib/mysql. Same goes for the php-code. Be warned though if your productive system is another distro. You will have to chown at least the mysql-files. If you have an upload-area on your webpresence, chown these files to mysql-data:mysql-data.

And watch your overall disk usage. Uninstall packets like tetex and emacs - this will yield you some freedom :)

All the best,
Christoph