PDA

View Full Version : Post hd install cleanup

bamarob
09-22-2003, 03:23 PM
I know some of you have posted on this before, but I didn't find anything searching the archives...

I have 7-24-2003 Knoppix install to HD. I've installed and run localepurge to get rid of locales that I don't use. What other stuff can I get rid of? In doing 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get -u upgrade' I notice lots of kde-i18n-?? packages that appear to be locale specific packages. Can I safely get rid of these packages if I'm going to be operating 100% US-EN? What other packages do you typically remove after doing a HD install?

I trying to make it as lean as possible. I'm currently on a 56K dial-up (where I typically connect at 37,333 :(). Running 'apt-get -u upgrade' needs about 7 hours with the packages that are currently installed. I usually lose my connection before it finishes. If I can get it down to 4-5 hours, I might be able to successfully upgrade without losing my connection.

Also, I'm using the stock 'sources.list' file from Knoppix. Everytime I try to change this file to use US-centric sites, I end up messing something up. What entries can I change in this file to get it to use servers closer to my (US) location?

Thanks,

BamaRob

RockMumbles
09-22-2003, 03:39 PM
I notice lots of kde-i18n-?? packages that appear to be locale specific packages. Can I safely get rid of these packages
Yes
I have removed some unnecessary fonts, and packages I never use, note, many packages are very small themselves, and won't make a whole lot of difference, I removed all palm-pilot packages such as pilot-link etc.

I'm currently on a 56K dial-up (where I typically connect at 37,333 ). Running 'apt-get -u upgrade' needs about 7 hours
Only 7 hours? Mine takes 12 or more, one nice feature of dpkg / apt-get is that it can be stopped and then when restarted it will resume where it was, with knoppix this is a bit more of a problem than stable because of the constant changing repositories.

~rock

rickenbacherus
09-22-2003, 05:25 PM
I remove alot of things after an install. Perhaps the easiest way is to fire up kpackage. Under the package description it will tell you if the package is 'required' or 'optional', what its dependencies are and a few other bits of info that will help in deciding what can safely be removed. You can remove the xservers you don't need, if you don't really need open office that will free up quite a bit of room, all the ISDN related things and even other things.

Note that is isn't at all necessary to do apt-get upgrade every few days. In fact I would be very hesitant to do it too often. That's one of the easier ways to break your system. :)

bamarob
09-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Note that is isn't at all necessary to do apt-get upgrade every few days. In fact I would be very hesitant to do it too often. That's one of the easier ways to break your system.

So, what would be a "reasonable" update cycle? Once a month? Quarterly?

I need to brush up on my bash and write a script that will connect to the internet via ppp, run 'apt-get update', and run 'apt-get upgrade' automatically. I could then set it to start at midnight each Tuesday night, or once a month, or quarterly...

Thanks,

BR

plugwash
09-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I need to brush up on my bash and write a script that will connect to the internet via ppp, run 'apt-get update', and run 'apt-get upgrade' automatically. I could then set it to start at midnight each Tuesday night, or once a month, or quarterly...

Thanks,

BR

when running a system like knoppix that is based on testing and unstable this isn't a good idea you need to make sure nothing goes wrong and do it when you have time availible to fix stuff

bamarob
09-22-2003, 09:47 PM
10-4. Once I clean up all of the stuff I don't need, maybe it'll run quick enough to have the time required to periodically upgrade and fix problems.

BR

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks,

BR

when running a system like knoppix that is based on testing and unstable this isn't a good idea you need to make sure nothing goes wrong and do it when you have time availible to fix stuff

Dave_Bechtel
09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
--See this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21452&highlight=deldeb#21452

I know some of you have posted on this before, but I didn't find anything searching the archives...

I have 7-24-2003 Knoppix install to HD. I've installed and run localepurge to get rid of locales that I don't use. What other stuff can I get rid of? In doing 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get -u upgrade' I notice lots of kde-i18n-?? packages that appear to be locale specific packages. Can I safely get rid of these packages if I'm going to be operating 100% US-EN? What other packages do you typically remove after doing a HD install?

I trying to make it as lean as possible. I'm currently on a 56K dial-up (where I typically connect at 37,333 :(). Running 'apt-get -u upgrade' needs about 7 hours with the packages that are currently installed. I usually lose my connection before it finishes. If I can get it down to 4-5 hours, I might be able to successfully upgrade without losing my connection.

Also, I'm using the stock 'sources.list' file from Knoppix. Everytime I try to change this file to use US-centric sites, I end up messing something up. What entries can I change in this file to get it to use servers closer to my (US) location?

Thanks,

BamaRob