PDA

View Full Version : Get network information from windows partition

Nicol
01-23-2003, 03:58 PM
It would be very nice for novice users if Knoppix was able to:
Mount windows partition
Extract ethernet configuration (ip, netmask, gateway, dns..) from windows settings.
Extract SMB configuration (Workgroup, Client Name...).
PPP settings (or ASDL, or whatever).

As far as I know, none of the actual Linux distributions can do this, it would be very cool if Knoppix was the first in implementing it :wink: . That way it would be plug 'n' work even with the network!

Maybe the people here have some other ideas of some more interesting information that could be extracted from windows partition...

lilliput
01-23-2003, 05:20 PM
There are no problem to mount a "windows" partition.
When you are in the Knoppix desktop call KDE (the windows' manager name) you can see hda1, hda2 ..
hd means for IDE (sd for scsi)
a,b,c,d means for the posittion of your drive in the IDE connexion
ie
a Master on the first IDE
b Slave on the first IDE
c Master on the 2nd IDE ...
after for the number it just the "partition number" on your hard disk
Just dbl click on the icone and you will see the partition file.

To set the network "unfortunatly" you have to remenber the IP adresse and everything else.. If it's to hard just write it down. To configure it in Knoppix just go in the KNOPPIX menu and go to network card configuration. If you do not know what you have to writte just ask, you will have an answer (In generally here windows say ask your administrator !!!!!)
To access the network files through Samba there is a soft xsmbrowser
after to configure samba to share your files it's a bitte more difficult...
But there is some good documenttation in the howto files.

For the ADSL configuration i let you look in the other topic you will find what you need ...

dvessey
01-23-2003, 09:24 PM
to actually extract this config information from windows...? I'm not even sure if it's possible. I have no idea where it's all kept in windows. But as liliput posted, you can set all this stuff up with very little hassle.