PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.3 Apt-Get - Problems & Solutions

Eavy
09-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Hello World!

I encountered a bunch of problems with apt-get after installation. Apt-get update ignored the Release files and no matter what I tried to install, it claimed the packages didn't exist. I modified the /etc/apt/sources.list file, replacing all occurences of "ftp2" with "ftp", then it successfully got the Package files again.

Installation of Synaptic only works for "unstable" right now. Synaptic-debtags works without problems, though. I'm reporting my experiences in case anybody else has to deal with the same problem. Comments are welcome!

BTW, the current version of "knoppix-installer" really rocks, very well done - keep up the good work, Knoppix is the very best way to install a working version of Debian (IMHO the best Linux distro ever)... ;-)

jduff
09-24-2003, 03:10 AM
Right on brother. I installed the 3.3 today after wiping 3.2 and what do you know, I go to install synaptic and it goes mental. Something about dependencies. Man, was I bummed.

Found your post here about synaptic-debtags working so I tried to install it and what do you know, it works like magic.

Thanks for posting the info. I owe you one. Have a couple of beers and I'll pay for maybe one of them. Hey, what can I say, I'm going to be out of work soon so I have to start saving money now.

Eavy
09-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Hello again!

Weird, with KNOPPIX V3.3 (2003-09-24) the ftp2 URL's actually work, whereas the ftp replacement fails. I don't know if there were some changes between 09-22 and 09-24, or the Debian mirrors changed, but DON'T change the sources.list with this version.

Using synaptic-debtags instead of plain old synaptic is a good idea in any case, as it supports sorting packages according to a tag tree list, which might be more useful with Debian's huge archive. (Make sure to run "debtags update" before starting the new Synaptic for the first time!)