PDA

View Full Version : Boot from .ISO image file already in HD

sps
01-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Is it possible? We could have just a boot Floppy or CD and it would read the ISO stored in HD, this way Knoppix would be very very FAST!!!
:lol:

01-23-2003, 08:10 PM
ghhfghfhftg

01-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Is it possible? We could have just a boot Floppy or CD and it would read the ISO stored in HD, this way Knoppix would be very very FAST!!! :lol: What i would like to have is an application that could load the iso-image into ram at startup and run from there. Now that would be lightning fast...

It may take a couple of min to load the image into ram, but when its finally there everything would be like greased lightning.

About 0,000001 ms acsesstimes in stead of the 10ms in HDD's or 100ms in CD-rom's. Transferspeed would go from about 50MB/s (HDD's) or 8MB/s (CD-rom's) to about 2133MB/s in case of PC2100 DDR-ram.

01-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Is it possible? We could have just a boot Floppy or CD and it would read the ISO stored in HD, this way Knoppix would be very very FAST!!! :lol: What i would like to have is an application that could load the iso-image into ram at startup and run from there. Now that would be lightning fast...

It may take a couple of min to load the image into ram, but when its finally there everything would be like greased lightning.

About 0,000001 ms acsesstimes in stead of the 10ms in HDD's or 100ms in CD-rom's. Transferspeed would go from about 50MB/s (HDD's) or 8MB/s (CD-rom's) to about 2133MB/s in case of PC2100 DDR-ram.Remember that it could consume 700MB's of ram just for the ISO... So you better be having a lot of memory in that system.

01-23-2003, 09:18 PM

About 0,000001 ms acsesstimes in stead of the 10ms in HDD's or 100ms in CD-rom's. Transferspeed would go from about 50MB/s (HDD's) or 8MB/s (CD-rom's) to about 2133MB/s in case of PC2100 DDR-ram.

I tought it could read the .iso as it reads the CD, so it would read the image at HD´s speed, am I right? Also it would remain read only by default like the CD is.

dvessey
01-23-2003, 09:43 PM
You could probably set up something like this, reminds me of Mandrakes Lin4Win thing, where it let you install linux onto a fat partition.

I don't understand what the point would be though? why not just install it to HD, then it would run MUCH faster?

As for copying the ISO to ram, this is an idea I already suggested, but not with the full size image, just with one of the mini-knoppix ISO's.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-24-2003, 12:37 AM
You'd need more than 700MB of RAM for this! Even if you could get the whole ISO in RAM, it works off a ramdisk with at least 128MB RAM for KDE et al when apps are decompressed on the fly....

So, we're talking about 1GB if not over 2GB if the whole image has to be decompressed for this to work! Boy, that would be something else, though!

Regards,

Simen1
01-24-2003, 05:17 PM
You could probably set up something like this, reminds me of Mandrakes Lin4Win thing, where it let you install linux onto a fat partition.

I don't understand what the point would be though? why not just install it to HD, then it would run MUCH faster?

As for copying the ISO to ram, this is an idea I already suggested, but not with the full size image, just with one of the mini-knoppix ISO's.That would be a great idea. Running an OS from ram would make everything go instant. OpenOffice normally uses some time to start because it opens a lot of small files. That wait could be cured if OO already is in the ram. Event if it still are compressed.

I can imagine running a database or dynamic website from a ramdrive could be far superior to running from HDD. All the several ms acsess-latency per file would dissapear. Of course the database must be saved to HDD regularly and often to avoid losses in case of power failure, but that should be an overcomable problem.

Making a mini-ISO of Knoppix would be great to people that have a deacent amount of ram (512-1GB), but it should at least include the features that benefint the most from a ramdrive.

Alextreme
01-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Now i don't agree with loading OO into ram, but loading a compressed image on a (compressed) ramdisk would be feasible for my (mini-)distro morphix, as the base is only 25MB compressed. An idea worth looking further into...

A. Jorge Garcia
01-25-2003, 02:44 AM
Such a small ISO would be an ideal candidate to run from a ramdisk uncompressed, no?

Regards,

luro95
01-25-2003, 05:01 AM
I found something about on :

http://www.es.gnome.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/gnome-live-cd/doc/modificar_knoppix2.txt?annotate=1.1&cvsroot=GNOME

and there said:

"Now you can either make the final ISO image for burning or you can test it by
symlinking the KNOPPIX directory in a root directory of a partition e.g.
cd /
ln -s /mnt/master/KNOPPIX KNOPPIX
then you can make a boot floppy :
dd if=/mnt/master/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
and boot off that, _without the cd in the drive_, when looking for the CD it
will look for a Directory called "KNOPPIX" on /dev/hda1 a2 a3 b1 b2 etc. etc.
if it finds one then it will say "accessing CD on /dev/hda1" and use that as
the CD."

SUOrangeman
01-27-2003, 02:25 AM
You can effectively get what you want by copying the /KNOPPIX directory to any drive already used by Windows (still need 700MB or so of space).

"But, won't I have to burn the CD first?" NO!

Go grab Daemon Tools (for the Windows folks) and mount the ISO as a virtual CD. THen, just use Windows Explorer to copy /KNOPPIX to the root of any accomodating Windows volume. Create the boot floppy as you wish and when you reboot with the floppy, everything will run off of the hard drive.

-SUO

01-27-2003, 10:46 PM
You can effectively get what you want by copying the /KNOPPIX directory to any drive already used by Windows (still need 700MB or so of space).

"But, won't I have to burn the CD first?" NO!

Go grab Daemon Tools (for the Windows folks) and mount the ISO as a virtual CD. THen, just use Windows Explorer to copy /KNOPPIX to the root of any accomodating Windows volume. Create the boot floppy as you wish and when you reboot with the floppy, everything will run off of the hard drive.

-SUO

How can I create such boot floppy?
Thanks

tempest69
01-30-2003, 01:59 PM
hi every one :D ,
has anyone tried to boot the KNOPPIX iso installed on HD with loadlin.exe.
So you don't have to put the boot floppy and just have to make a menu in config.sys (DOS or win9x) to launch KNOPPIX. It would be great for testing quickly a remastered iso (and don't worry about loosing or searching the floppy :roll: ).
I've tried that : make the floppy - extract vmlinux and miniroot.gz
then launch loadlin.exe from dos but i can't spécify boot parametres like "knoppix lang=fr" , it seems it does not recognize it ... :?:

probono
02-09-2003, 08:22 PM
I am doing it all the time with LILO ;-)

john_robot
02-19-2003, 12:36 AM
Download VMWare 3.1xx and run the image from VMWare Virtual Machine.

The price for VM is 180 us dollars, and there is a crach for 3.1x to make it free. But remember there is no crack for 3.2x yet, so ues the 3.1..

ktheking
03-20-2003, 01:22 AM
hmmm...
sounds an awful lot like flash disks.......
8)

linuxfan
03-20-2003, 08:54 AM
make a batch file: knoppix.bat
----------------
@echo off
c:\loadlin c:\vmlinuz initrd=c:\miniroot.gz load_ramdisk=1 init=/etc/init hdc=ide-scsi vga=791
------------------

hdc part is worked for me, customize as needed.

dfriel
07-21-2003, 02:26 PM
I am doing it all the time with LILO ;-)

hi probono,

can you give me some details about booting knoppix (compressed) on hd with lilo. my laptop only has cd/floppy in the docking station, but i'wd like to boot knoppix wenn i'm mobile.

thanks a lot,

dfriel