PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen on Shutdown

BoA
09-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Can someone give me a hand please? I installed knoppix to the hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite and everything works great. Only problem is most of the time when I shut down my computer or try to reboot or even log out to try and change users via X windows the screen completely goes black and I can do nothing to bring any sort of command prompt or gui up. The only thing I can do at this point is press the power button and let knoppix (or by now its debian) run up.

Anyone know why the screen goes black? Any way I can fix this or go around it? The funny thing is sometimes it shuts down completely flawlessly but usually it will die right after I click 'ok' to reboot or halt.

Please help me.
I love you all.. in advance :D

rickenbacherus
09-25-2003, 01:48 AM
Sounds like you're having some issues with apm. Can you disable it in your BIOS?

OR- if you use LILO add this to your append="" line in /etc/lilo.conf

append="noapm" (plus whatever else is already there.

Have you considered using an acpi patched kernel? Nothing could be easier. Have look here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4200) Or you may even want to consider using a distro w/ an acpi kernel like Mepis (http://www.mepis.org/) Yes it's Knoppix based. FWIW my Toshiba Satellite works quite nicely w/ apm or acpi but not both!

iscarib
10-01-2003, 01:29 PM
:? I installed knoppix on my Compaq Presario 1200 XL 101 and all went well. But, since I "joy too much" with configuration, I decided to re install knoppix and I started to note a similar problem, black screen on shut down. Knoppix (or I have to say debian?) sends TERM and KILL signal to all process, shut down very well, but in the moment that the system should to stop and disconnect, it start again but keep on blank screen with the fan cooler running and I have to shut down manually (ATX don't make it automatically)
Can anybody help me? I'm a very newbie in Linux, and I tried to fix it with the above solution, but didn't work. I tried reinstalling and didn't work anyway, the problem is still there.
Thanks in advance...
And beyond any detail, I LOVE LINUX!!!