PDA

View Full Version : Cant start samba

ben1440
09-25-2003, 05:10 AM
Hi, i just did the HD install of knoppix 3.3 9/22/03, and when i try and do "sambastart" i get:

root@trogdor:~# sambastart
FATAL ERROR!
This Knoppix script must not be run on a regular system.
Aborting.
root@trogdor:~#

I have tried this logged on as root, and my normal user. When i try and use the nifty little samba start button under the knoppix menu, it asks for a password, but then doesnt bring up that other option box that is supposed to come up after you put in the password. Also, has anyone successufuly installed cacti in knoppix? Thanks

dosdragon
02-23-2006, 04:48 AM
I am having the same problem, I believe it may have something to do with how the machine was setup.

domain issue?

I have been experimenting with Knoppix for about a week, I have it installed under VM-Ware and just about everything runs fine.

I am about to install it on an older win95 laptop that I no longer use

UnderScore
02-23-2006, 07:25 AM
knoppix@1[~]$ head /usr/sbin/sambastart
#!/bin/bash

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin"
export PATH

if [ ! -d /KNOPPIX/etc ] ; then
echo -e "FATAL ERROR!\nThis Knoppix script must not be run on a regular system.\nAborting."
exit 1
fi

knoppix@1[~]$
The sambastart program is a Knoppix specific program that is designed to run from the CD/DVD & is not at all intended to be run from a HD installed Knoppix system. That "if [ ! -d /KNOPPIX/etc ]" piece checks to see if it is running from the CD/DVD, and if it is not then it quits with that error message.
If you need to run samba, then look into using a samba tutorial (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=samba+tutorial&btnG=Google+Search).