PDA

View Full Version : Easy network monitoring tool in Knoppix?

IdroJ
09-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Hi there!

Does anybody know if there is any simple internet traffic tool in Knoppix? I need something easy and simple, a blinking icon :wink: with average and current network activity info or similar. I don't need a powerful tool like Ethereal, just something to monitor my DSL connection in those aspects.

I've tried out Ethereal, but it is too powerful for what I want it for!

Thanks a lot!

Dave_Bechtel
09-26-2003, 09:27 AM
--Use icewm instead of Kde, this tool is located at the bottom-right of screen.

--Text-based utils (these are what I use) :
' nice pppstatus -s 1540 -i ppp0 ' (there are different speed settings available)

--And you can also install ' ethstatus ', ' ntop ' (GUI-based, gives a nice graph) and a bunch of others:

http://www.topology.org/comms/netmon.html

--You can run the text-based stuff in xterm/rxvt/whatever and move the windows to workspace 4 (or something) where they're out of the way, but easily accessible. In text-mode, I run ' screen -aA ' and start ' nice pppstatus ' and ' nice top -d 10 '.

Hi there!
Does anybody know if there is any simple internet traffic tool in Knoppix? I need something easy and simple, a blinking icon :wink: with average and current network activity info or similar. I don't need a powerful tool like Ethereal, just something to monitor my DSL connection in those aspects.

I've tried out Ethereal, but it is too powerful for what I want it for!

Thanks a lot!

IdroJ
09-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks a lot, pppstatus is more or less what I was looking for. But, I have a question. Why do you use "nice"? Why changing priority of pppstatus?

Thanks again!

Dave_Bechtel
09-26-2003, 09:12 PM
--Since it's doing almost realtime-updates, this allows other processes to grab CPU time if things get busy. You don't want your system monitors using 20% CPU, causing both your CD burn to underflow and your currently-playing MP3 to sound like a broken record. ;-)

Thanks a lot, pppstatus is more or less what I was looking for. But, I have a question. Why do you use "nice"? Why changing priority of pppstatus?

Thanks again!

IdroJ
09-28-2003, 02:44 PM
:idea: It is clear now.
Thanks!