PDA

View Full Version : Crypt files with Knoppix and Windows?

xetrex
09-26-2003, 06:27 AM
Hi,
is it possible to crypt files in windows, and then decrypt files with newest Knoppix when booted from CD-ROM? What different alternatives are provided with newest Knoppix?

garyng
09-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Hi,
is it possible to crypt files in windows, and then decrypt files with newest Knoppix when booted from CD-ROM? What different alternatives are provided with newest Knoppix?

gnupg has both unix and win32 version.

hat_monkey
10-20-2007, 09:53 AM
firstly i found it a little strange that knoppix being german doesnt have the necessary preinstalles to run gnupg out of the box, gnupg beig a german govt sponsored project.
secondly, "gnupg has both unix and win32 version", is that affirmative answer to the original question "is it possible to crypt files in windows, and then decrypt files with newest Knoppix" after the gnupg messdown is completed? ie. encrypted in the windows version then deciphered in the linux version is possible?

xetrex
10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Actually now I'm using Truecrypt:
http://www.truecrypt.org

I haven't yet tried it with Knoppix, but with Ubuntu Linux I use Truecrypt to open encrypted image (fixed size) from NTFS partition (NTFS-3G).

hat_monkey
10-26-2007, 05:24 AM
Actually now I'm using Truecrypt:
http://www.truecrypt.org

I haven't yet tried it with Knoppix, but with Ubuntu Linux I use Truecrypt to open encrypted image (fixed size) from NTFS partition (NTFS-3G).

thanks may give truecrypt a try after exhausting Gnupgp options.
so far Gnupgp requires ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/pth/
where:

"Pth is a very portable POSIX/ANSI-C based library for Unix platforms"

however on downloading and trying to instal, one finds that the latest versions available ( pth-2.0.7.tar.gz) only comes in i486 and i586 configerations. Of course you are not told this beforehand and there is no indications on the download pages.
now trying pth-1.4.1.tar.gz

hat_monkey
10-28-2007, 09:43 AM
so pth-1.4.1.tar.gz will install and then tell me I have i586 linux installed already :?:
but went looking through and found that GNuPG is installed in knoppix 5.1.1 and can be run in a terminal. just type: gpg or for later version: gpg2.
am now wading through the copious documentation.
however did manage to encript and decipher a file for myself:)
now all set to learn about secure emailing and public keys.....

hat_monkey
11-05-2007, 06:30 AM
have able to get Gnupg to function and have created and uploaded public keys.

so now for truecrypt:

Please tell me where/how I am failing.

knoppix@Knoppix:/KNOPPIX.IMG/home/knoppix/Desktop/truecrypt/truecrypt-4.3a-sourc
e-code/Linux$ sudo ./build.sh
Checking build requirements...
Linux kernel (2.6.19) source directory [/usr/src/linux]: /boot/config-2.6.19
Error: /boot/config-2.6.19 does not exit
knoppix@Knoppix:/KNOPPIX.IMG/home/knoppix/Desktop/truecrypt/truecrypt-4.3a-sourc
Linux kernel (2.6.19) source directory [/usr/src/linux]: /boot/
Error: Kernel source version in /boot/ is not 2.6.19
Linux kernel (2.6.19) source directory [/usr/src/linux]: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19
Error: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19 does not exit
e-code/Linux$