PDA

View Full Version : Sony USB Microvault as persistent storage

sdstern
09-26-2003, 06:22 PM
The USBVIEW tool detects the Sony MicroVault 128MB USB storage device when I plug it in, but I can't figure out what device, if any, it's mapped to so I can mount it as a file system.

QwikDisk never shows it as an available device.

Where do I start?

sdstern
09-26-2003, 11:36 PM
More info: The device can be mounted as /dev/sda, but not /dev/sda1. If I try

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/test

I get errors about the device.

It works if /dev/sda is used instead. Unfortunately, /dev/sda is not in the set of devices used by the "save Knoppix config" utiliity.

gramplex
10-08-2003, 05:13 PM
I have a 128 MB USB Sony MicroVault device.

I am facing the same problem. It shows sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4 on the desktop. Whenever I try to open it, I get a message saying something like "I could not recognise the file system" or something like that.

:( :cry:

sdstern
10-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Does it work for you as /dev/sda? I'm playing around now with setting a persistent image file in the hidden partition Dell put on my computer.

gramplex
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi!

That was a super quick reply.

Once Knoppix loads, I initiated terminal and typed:

mount /dev/sda /mnt/(directory name)

And then I could see the contents. I even copied the contents on to Knoppix's ramdisk. It worked fine. Though, it seemed to work a little slower (not sure). While the device was attached, I tried to view the contents thru Knoppix's file manager. First time, it didnt show me the contents, second time it halted for a very long time. The behaviour was strange. I guess there's some problem with the kernel or Sony must have adopted some weird circuitory design that it is giving problem. I am saying this because I faced problem while using Puppy Linux too!

You can visit this link to view what I've written at Puppy Linux's forum OR read what I've pasted after this.:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/forum/index.shtml

I hope we get a solution soon. I really want to use this drive with the encryption enabled (I am using Knoppix-MIB).

"I decided to install Puppy Linux on my Sony Microvault 128MB USB device that I bought today. When I run syslinux.com, I get a message saying something like Boot Record corrupted or something like that. I guess it is happening only with Sony Microvault and not other USB devices.

To view the contents in this device, while running Puppy linux, I have to execute the following command:

mount /dev/sda /mnt/(directory name)

I have to use 'sda' instead of 'sda1'/'sda2'/etc.. Why?

The contents in the MicroVault are displayed in the old DOS format (when Puppy linux is running).

I tried this device with Knoppix and there too I am facing some problems. To view the contents I have to execute the same command, but it displays long file names. I was able to copy files from the Microvault to 'ramdisk' successfully. But at times, the system would halt while trying to view the contents in Knoppix's file manager. I am not able to understand what is wrong."