PDA

View Full Version : Carmgr locks when booting Knoppix 3.3 and Orinoco

grandb
09-27-2003, 09:42 PM
I have recently purchased a Compaq 2100Z (AMD Processor).
Using older and the latest version 3.3 of Knoppix (latest version boots MUCH faster) the system boots fine.

But, when using the orinoco silver wireless card, it hangs on the card manager:

cardmgr[58]: executing: 'modproge orinoco_cs'

I would either like to resolve this issue, or, get a recommendation of another card that I can use with knoppix and kismet / airsnort.

Any suggestions on a fix or a different wireless card? I need one that is readily available as I am using this on several laptops.

fingers99
09-27-2003, 10:28 PM
Just a thought: is the bios set (or settable) to non-pnp OS?

grandb
09-27-2003, 11:29 PM
The BIOS settings are very few. No option for PNP.
About the only user configurable changes are for the
LPT port, and disabling USB Legacy Support, which you have to do to get most of the Linux distros to work on it.

doobs
10-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Argh - I'm having the same problem with a Toshiba 2060cds (amd K6 366, 160mb ram). I have an Orinogo gold card with the latest firmware (dloaded from orinocowireless.com yesterday), and I'm trying to get it going with Knoppix V3.3 (2003-09-24-EN). Upon bootup, Knoppix hangs as it tries to load the orinoco_cs module.

So far, I've turned the PNP OS setting (not called that, but similar) both on and off, I've setup PCMCIA for both PCIC-compatibile and 16-bit/cardbus compatible, I've tried other orinoco cards, etc. When I remove the card before booting, it starts up just fine. If I insert the card after the machine is booted, the machine hangs.

Is this a Knoppix problem, a orinoco_cs module problem, a pcmcia system problem... ?!? If anyone has any tips, I'd greatly appreciate them.

Thanks!
Jeff

grandb
10-04-2003, 05:05 PM
I do not believe it is a Knoppix issue. I have the same issues when
installing Linux on the box (SUse, Red Hat, etc.)

If you figure anything out let me know, and I will do the same.

TheGreatVirus
11-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Has their been any progress on this issue as I too have the same problems. :(

grandb
11-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Actually a friend of mine has managed to get this working. I am teaching this week so won't have time to get details, but if you post something here next week it will notify me and I will reply with the specifics.

TheGreatVirus
11-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Thanks alot Ill be sure to to do that. :wink:

grandb
11-19-2003, 03:44 AM
grandb at verizon net

doobs
11-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Hello -- just looking to see if you (grandb) have a sec to post that fix for this problem (toshiba / orinoco / knoppix).

Thanks!

TheGreatVirus
11-27-2003, 07:25 AM
Still nothing? :(

grandb
12-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Here are the instructions for Suse 9.0, though it should be fairly easy to modify for Knoppix with a startup disk.
These instructions are specific to the Orinoco.
If it doesn't work in the latest version of Knoppix, you may need to wait for the next version when the kernel is updated.

Regarding the install on the laptop you should be able to get one up
and running out of the box with Suse 9.0, with the following modifications
to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:

- ----------
# First built-in serial port
exclude irq 4
# Second built-in serial port
#exclude irq 3
# First built-in parallel port
#exclude irq 7

# exclude all irqs except 7
exclude irq 1