PDA

View Full Version : Can i burn this to a cd and make a lot of copies and sell it

Zeven
01-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Can i burn this to a cd and make a lot of copies and sell it to other people.
If i can,is it legal.

d8uv
01-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Knoppix is released with the GPL, and the GPL states

1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

Basically, you can legally burn lots of copies of Knoppix, and you can charge for it.

sireasoning
01-24-2003, 08:40 AM
I believe this is completely gpl'd so you probably can make copies and sell them. However, the ethical thing to do would be to forward part of the proceeds to the development staff of Knoppix (which may only officially be K Knopper).

BlckJck
01-24-2003, 09:56 AM
The usual license would allow you to charge for the cost of time and materials. Charging more, while allowed, would seem to be wrong by the core of the Linux attitude. Also, you might not profit so well when others find that they can get it for free :roll:

eadz
01-24-2003, 10:50 AM
ACTUALLY....

from the download aggrement : ( on my site and Knopper's )

IF YOU PLAN TO COMMERCIALLY USE OR DISTRIBUTE (AND SELL) THE SOFTWARE, YOU HAVE TO ACQUIRE THE NECESSARY LICENSES AND PERMISSIONS FROM ALL SOFTWARE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OF NON-FREE SOFTWARE COMPONENTS, OR REMOVE THESE COMPONENTS BEFORE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE.

Reason being not everything is released under GPL. Some thing have different licences. I guess if non-free is in the sources list then the'll be problems. Some licences prohimit for-profit distribition. I guess it would be good to get a list of the non-free software on the cd.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-24-2003, 07:49 PM
I thought Klaus said everything he put on the ISO is GPL. That disclaimer applies to a demo CD you create by remastering the KNOPPIX ISO. Then you have to make sure you're not violating copyright law if the software you're demoing is not GPL.

That's my understnading from the www.knoppix.com site.

BTW, I sell burnt CDs based on KNOPPIX on my site to fellow Computer Science teachers who don't have a fast connection to the net or don't have a CD burner....

Regards,

eadz
01-24-2003, 07:59 PM
I thought Klaus said everything he put on the ISO is GPL. That disclaimer applies to a demo CD you create by remastering the KNOPPIX ISO. Then you have to make sure you're not violating copyright law if the software you're demoing is not GPL.

well

deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free

is in the sources.list... I think weather or not he installed anything from non-free, or if that may dissalow redistribution, I think the disclamer is basicly saying Its your responsibility to make sure that you're not distributing anything you're not suposed to.

example - some crypto. Export it from germany - fine
Export it from US - not so good...

I'm not saying that there is non-free/non-us software that can't be redistributed, but that you should check before distributing it. Esp from US!