PDA

View Full Version : Root password for Knoppix Live CD

Joel-Tang
09-28-2003, 01:27 AM
I need the password for the root of the Live CD.

I think I need this because my hdd install doesn't recognize my Voodoo 3 2000 adapter.
Therefore, I would like to copy the XF86Config-4 file from the RAM disk of the live CD and copy it into my hdd installation. I've copied the RAM disk version pretty easily.

But when I try to copy it to the hdd install, the root password doesn't give me access to it. (I can still boot the hdd up to the console, only startm fails) Furthermore, I try to copy it when in the Live CD mode to my hda2 (that is where the install is) I cannot get write access.

I would think I could do it by enabling read/write on the live CD but it still doesn't let me write to hdd from live CD.

I've been trying to get linux running on my pc for about 2 years now :oops: (except for redhat 8 which is too much for my PII 400MHz) and have never been successful. How do you guys do it?!?!?

Stephen
09-28-2003, 02:42 AM
I need the password for the root of the Live CD.

I think I need this because my hdd install doesn't recognize my Voodoo 3 2000 adapter.
Therefore, I would like to copy the XF86Config-4 file from the RAM disk of the live CD and copy it into my hdd installation. I've copied the RAM disk version pretty easily.

But when I try to copy it to the hdd install, the root password doesn't give me access to it. (I can still boot the hdd up to the console, only startm fails) Furthermore, I try to copy it when in the Live CD mode to my hda2 (that is where the install is) I cannot get write access.

I would think I could do it by enabling read/write on the live CD but it still doesn't let me write to hdd from live CD.

I've been trying to get linux running on my pc for about 2 years now :oops: (except for redhat 8 which is too much for my PII 400MHz) and have never been successful. How do you guys do it?!?!?

Try this from a console window:

sudo mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
sudo cp /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.original
sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

This makes a copy of the original file and copies the running config to the HD reboot and you should have the same screen as you had on the CD boot.