PDA

View Full Version : KDE3.2 install

jackren
09-28-2003, 04:30 PM
When I tried to install kmplayer (apt-get install kmplayer) apt-get began
to upgrade about 37 packages mostly KDE related before installeing kmplayer, but half-way this proces , apt-get frooze, and now I have a messed up KDE. When I want to reinstall KDE I get depencies problems,canot install.

Does anybody know how to install KDE3.2 on knoppix 3.2 system (HDD install) Or if that is a bad idea, reinstall KDE from knoppixCD whitout a complete reinstall of the whole system?

fingers99
09-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Do a search for this: the real issue for upgrading Kde seems to be that you need to point your sources.list at unstable.

baldyeti
09-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Does anybody know how to install KDE3.2 on knoppix 3.2 system (HDD install)
Do you really mean KDE 3.2? This only exists as alpha at the moment,
so I doubt there's any official debian package. If you want to restore a
working 3.1.3, here's an old post from this forum (that I cannot find
back right now) which worked fine for me. Credit to the original poster.

I myself just upgraded to KDE 3.1.3 so here is what I did:

1. at the command line as root, type:
$ kedit /etc/apt/sources.list
2. Save a back-up copy, then delete everything in the file. Copy the following line and save:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main
(note, you might want a closer server than http.us.debian.org.debian, such as
deb ftp://ftp.it.debian.org/debian unstable main
3. At the command line as root type:
$ apt-get update
4. You can now start the copying process by typing:
$ apt-get install xxxx
where xxxx are the following files:

arts
kde-i18n-it <-- Only if you want Italian modifications to KDE
kdeaddons
kdeadmin
kdeartwork
kdebase
kdebindings
kdeedu
kdegames
kdegraphics
kdelibs
kdemultimedia
kdenetwork
kdepim
kdetoys
kdeutils
quanta

5. Restart your computer and you should be done!

Superstoned
09-28-2003, 05:56 PM
there is a possibility to even run kde 3.2 CVS on debian, there is an (of course unofficial) kde CVS repository, you can find it using www.apt-get.org searching on 'kde'.

I use it ;) its quite good, and its nice to see kde3.2 will be really improved alot...

baldyeti
09-28-2003, 06:20 PM
I use it ;) its quite good, and its nice to see kde3.2 will be really improved alot...
Actually I might like to try that one of these days on a spare partition and a fresh
install; would the above package list(with an adapted sources.list) work?

Superstoned
09-28-2003, 08:13 PM
wow, be carefull, it is quite difficult (lot errors u have to resolve, at least I had some). I did just an apt-get dist-upgrade after putting the appropriate site in sources.list.
problems are mostly files wich are present in 2 packages (so apt-get, which doesnt allow this, gives an error). you must manually use dpkg to overwrite those files (with --force-overwrite, try man dpkg)

good luck!

jackren
09-28-2003, 09:35 PM
I changed apt-config and replaced "testing " with "unstable"

also I put entrys for KDEcvs in "/etc/apt/sources.list"
then did a apt-get update .
But when I do apt-get install kde ,
I have unmet depencies for kcontrol and konqueror,

Stephen
09-28-2003, 09:41 PM
wow, be carefull, it is quite difficult (lot errors u have to resolve, at least I had some). I did just an apt-get dist-upgrade after putting the appropriate site in sources.list.
problems are mostly files wich are present in 2 packages (so apt-get, which doesnt allow this, gives an error). you must manually use dpkg to overwrite those files (with --force-overwrite, try man dpkg)

good luck!

In addition KDE3.2 CVS will break at least twice this summer it fried my system and in the current release Konqueror does not seem to like playing streaming content from the net it gives me a I/O error every time I try to connect.

Stephen
09-28-2003, 09:47 PM

You can try commenting out all the stable and testing sources then apt-get update and then install. Also when you are installing use a line like apt-get install kdebase=exact_version_number to force apt to install the version from the CVS you may have to do this many times with the different programs you need.

Superstoned
09-29-2003, 12:59 PM
installing cvs only worked for me after completely removing the default-release-line from apt's config file....

jackren
10-02-2003, 12:42 PM
I just commented out all lines in "sources.list" exept for the ones from KDEcvs then did a apt-get update.
Now I did apt-get install kdebase, and everything installed perfect in one time with no depencies problems.
After this I cheched if all KDE components that were in "baldyeti's" list were
installed , and the ones that weren't I installed manualy with apt-get install ...., I didn't need to specify any version# of any package.
All works well now with KDE3.2 , I think.

ps. What are the major benefits or improvments in KDE3.2??

Dave_Bechtel
10-06-2003, 06:49 PM
--KDE is a flaming nightmare to "upgrade". It has all sorts of bizarro dependencies on libraries and such. Since more people are moving to broadband and have lots of HD space, I with they'd come out with a package set where you could do this:

' apt-get install kde-static=3.1.3 '.

alxdotnet
02-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Any experts interested in posting a full guide for us noobs to install KDE3.2??
Thanks in advance! -Alex