PDA

View Full Version : Common USB problem???

richeddy
09-28-2003, 06:19 PM
I did a hard drive install of Knoppix on 3 computers and I am having the same problem with all three....

While the USB system was being detected without problem when booting from the CD, the HD installations do not recognize the USB system. I have tried everything that I can think of (not much since I am very new at Linux), but I cannot get it to work.

Any ideas?

Loper
09-28-2003, 10:05 PM
I did a hard drive install of Knoppix on 3 computers and I am having the same problem with all three... While the USB system was being detected without problem when booting from the CD, the HD installations do not recognize the USB system.
What kind of mouses are you using? Are they USB? Are the 3 computers the same? If so, what chipset are they using, or which model/brand of motherboard?

I have found some otherwise-fine USB mouses to not work with Linux--I think it's a timing issue, and probes and timings can vary between CD and an HDD install.

More information, please.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-- Michael Rudas
Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
PengiuCon 2.0, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org

richeddy
09-29-2003, 07:08 PM
What kind of mouses are you using? Are they USB? Are the 3 computers the same? If so, what chipset are they using, or which model/brand of motherboard?

I have found some otherwise-fine USB mouses to not work with Linux--I think it's a timing issue, and probes and timings can vary between CD and an HDD install.

More information, please.

All three machines have PS/2 mouses that work without any problems. The three computers are very different....on is a Pentium III 500mhz, one is an AMD K3 450mhz and one is an Athlon XP2000+. I can't imagine that the same problem could exist on three vastly different systems without it being a problem related to the os itself.

The problem is very strange because the log files indicate that the USB system is being detected, however, it is not available for any USB device that I have tried (Lexar JumpDrive and Palm HotSync cradle).

garyng
10-01-2003, 03:09 AM
try 'lsmod' to see what driver is loaded. also, check if the usbdevfs is mounted by 'cat /proc/mounts'

The USB subsystem in linux works like this :

a set of core drivers needs to be loaded which handles the hardware detection stuff(plug/unplug). These information some how would be presented in the usbdevfs and there is a hotplug program/deamon that would handle the actual loading/unloading of the correct device drivers(and subsequent stuff). All three must be running properly for USB to work.