PDA

View Full Version : Partition permissions...

buckinpgh
09-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm relatively new to Linux. I did a HD install from the knoppix cd (knoppix-installer) and all went well. There is one thing that is confusing me though. I created a user (during install) named buck. I have an NTFS partition where Win2k Pro resides. User buck is in the users group. However, if I have this line in /etc/fstab...

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro 0 0

I cannot access this partition as buck, only as root. I get a permission denied. However, if I change it to...

/dev/hda /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro,uid=buck,gid=buck 0 0

I can access it just fine. I thought that, since buck is definitely in the users group, I should not have to specify uid and gid, the fact that users is specified should allow all users access, right? I'm only concerned because if, and when, additional users are added the /etc/fstab file could get a little hairy with the way it is currently working.

Any ideas, or corrections in my thinking, are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

nbd
09-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Try

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs user,defaults,auto 0 0

I'm not at all sure if it works, but I just tested that with those options I can mount/umount partitions and with different users.

But of course only root or the user that mounted the partition, can unmount it.

Mr Wonka
09-28-2003, 09:01 PM
I am experiencing exactly the same thing. Any help with this would be cool. This is my first LINUX install so consider a complete Newb. It's taken me an hour or two just to fiqure out this fstab configuration malarky.

Cheers
Mr Wonka

Dave_Bechtel
10-06-2003, 06:54 PM
--Since it's read-only it doesn't matter, but with the uid and gid set, I think *only* buck (and root) can access the mount. Try adding buck to group "disk" instead.

(' ls -al /dev/hda ' for the ownership clue.)

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm relatively new to Linux. I did a HD install from the knoppix cd (knoppix-installer) and all went well. There is one thing that is confusing me though. I created a user (during install) named buck. I have an NTFS partition where Win2k Pro resides. User buck is in the users group. However, if I have this line in /etc/fstab...

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro 0 0

I cannot access this partition as buck, only as root. I get a permission denied. However, if I change it to...

/dev/hda /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro,uid=buck,gid=buck 0 0

I can access it just fine. I thought that, since buck is definitely in the users group, I should not have to specify uid and gid, the fact that users is specified should allow all users access, right? I'm only concerned because if, and when, additional users are added the /etc/fstab file could get a little hairy with the way it is currently working.

Any ideas, or corrections in my thinking, are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.