PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling Knoppix

anman
09-29-2003, 06:16 PM
I want to uninstall Knoppix. I have already made the partition at which Knoppix was installed a FAT 32 system, but now when I start Windows I need to format the whole partition. My question is if I format the partition will this only format the partition or the whole disk?
By the way how can I get rid of the LILO bootloader?

Thank you in advance,

Anne

jmazz
09-29-2003, 08:35 PM
I also would like to take Knoppix off my hd.

I think it is the best version of linux that I have tried so far...this includes Slackware, debian,mandrake, red hat and topologilinux. (all the newest versions)

My problem is with Win XP Pro and not with Knoppix...But I wold like to also get rid of the bootloader.....( I think it's Grub ).

I will install knoppix on a seperate compute and be happy with that.

It's just too much work to get these 2 systemes to live on the same computer and have a very stable system.

thanks for a great CD.

jmazz

rickenbacherus
09-29-2003, 10:38 PM
Instructions for restoring your MBR can be found here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3311). Isn't it amazing that the best windowze support comes form the Linux community?

Sorry Anne- I have no idea what wimpdoze will do to your hard drive (of course Bill doesn't know either now does he?). :)

Dave_Bechtel
10-02-2003, 08:24 AM
--Assuming your new Fat32 partition is /dev/hda2, from the knoppix cd:
' mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/hda2 '

--Now some systems require that the Fat32 partition be not just of type b (Fat32), it may need to be type c (FAT32 LBA.) Just FYI. I've run into this on one old 500mhz computer, had to change the extended partition from type 5 (Extended) to type f (Win95 Extended LBA).

--Once windows boots and recognizes the new fat drive, I highly recommend you re-format it from within Windows just for peace of mind.

--If you need further guidance, post results of ' fdisk -l ' from Knoppix cd, as root.

I want to uninstall Knoppix. I have already made the partition at which Knoppix was installed a FAT 32 system, but now when I start Windows I need to format the whole partition. My question is if I format the partition will this only format the partition or the whole disk?
By the way how can I get rid of the LILO bootloader?

Thank you in advance,

Anne

ixc3xrx
12-12-2003, 03:26 AM
I uninstalled knoppix from my hd, but now i'm missing hard drive space.

10gb and now after uninstallating 9.36

whats wrong?

Dave_Bechtel
12-12-2003, 03:38 AM
--You need Partition Magic or equivalent to merge the blank space into an existing partition, or change the partition type to Windows-compatible and format it as an extra drive. Post results of ' fdisk -l ' as root from knoppix.

I uninstalled knoppix from my hd, but now i'm missing hard drive space.

10gb and now after uninstallating 9.36

whats wrong?

ixc3xrx
12-12-2003, 03:49 AM
ok, I see it now, but i think the swap partion isnt deleted because there is still about 500mb missing, and is the size that i made the swap, is this possible? and if so, how would i delete it, it doesnt show up in partion magic.