PDA

View Full Version : How to get Online

Firstimer
01-24-2003, 06:34 PM
First timer evaluating here...

I've booted fine on a laptop here at work. Wondering how I configure to find our router to get out to the Internet.

Thanks.

Jeff

eadz
01-24-2003, 06:43 PM
if your network is DHCP it should work already.. however,
if you go to K MENU ( bottom left ) to ->KNOPPIX -> CONFIGURE NETWORK

you should be away...

Firstimer
01-24-2003, 06:50 PM
It's a DHCP network, alright. Still, I can't get out. Is there somewhere in "Configure Network" that I should add the IP address of the Gateway, and the ISP's DNS server addresses?

Sorry for the lack of understanding, but I'm in the learning mode here...

eadz
01-24-2003, 07:00 PM
in the configure network program you should see a list including you ethernet adapter, you choose that then go on to set the ip address, gateway etc.

If your card isn't listed you may have an unsupported card, so you should post the card type, and if you launch a shell/terminal/konsole and type "lspci -v" and post the output here.
also if it's a Card ethernet card, or built in one. type of laptop etc.

zz
01-25-2003, 09:53 AM
I think there is a knoppix command netcardconfig. I must be knoppix becasue it looks like part of the knx-hdinstall script.

Rob
01-30-2003, 04:35 AM
Hey zz, that is the command that is needed. THANKS.

Rob

Firstimer
01-30-2003, 10:16 PM
Well I guess I don't get it. I used the netcardconfig command, got a dialog asking if I wanted to broadcast DHCP, I answered yes, and was returned to the prompt. I just can't seem to find where I enter the gateway info.

Jeff

primetime
02-20-2003, 06:36 PM
I had the same problem.

What I did was when it asks you for if you want to DHCP broadcast, say no. It'll then go to following screens asking you for IP, Gateway, Subnet Mask etc.

Hope this helps.