PDA

View Full Version : where to begin?

totalnewbie
01-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Hi

I'm a total newbie in Linux, and I was wondering where to start. I read some stuff on the forum, but I usually don't get any wiser with it.

I also wanted to know how to configure knoppix to get on the internet. My desktop has 2 network cards, one is connected to a cable modem, another is for my personal network.

And yet another question: what do you need to develop php on linux?

please, if any answers, could you make them as detailed as possible? so i don't have to ask what to do every time.

thx in advance

johncarlson21
01-25-2003, 02:21 AM
Hello There,,,
I would like to say that I am a newbie too...but I'm getting better...

I not sure how to configure your knoppix to use the cable modem...I would think that it would have configured itself right away..but is it seeing your NIC cards?

if it is you can go under control center in kde and click on network and then lan browsing and try to use the auto configure ( ResLISa daemon) that might work.. is your DHCP brocast on?

The easiest thing that I found is to have a router between the modem and computer... then it just kind of picks it up right away....Did you use the shell terminal and type ifconfig eth0 up or ifconfig eth1 up? I hope that this will help you if not you can contact me maybe and tell me more information about your system..!

I am online most the time... my msn is johncarlson21@hotmail.com and my icq is 212554643 :P

totalnewbie
01-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Hello There,,,

I not sure how to configure your knoppix to use the cable modem...I would think that it would have configured itself right away..but is it seeing your NIC cards?
I think so, because in network (via the menu) it sees 2 network cards

if it is you can go under control center in kde and click on network and then lan browsing and try to use the auto configure ( ResLISa daemon) that might work.. is your DHCP brocast on?
I have no idea :? , how do you check that and turn it on if it isn't? (see, total newbie :wink: )

The easiest thing that I found is to have a router between the modem and computer... then it just kind of picks it up right away....Did you use the shell terminal and type ifconfig eth0 up or ifconfig eth1 up? I hope that this will help you if not you can contact me maybe and tell me more information about your system..!
hmm, thought it'd work like it is now, without router.
About that shell, how do you get in it? I'll give it a try as soon as I have a little spare time, I'm kinda busy with school for the moment, exams :?

I am online most the time... my msn is johncarlson21@hotmail.com and my icq is 212554643 :P
I'll add you one of these days if I don't get any wiser :)
thx in advance

totalnewbie
01-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Hello There,,,

I think so, because in network (via the menu) it sees 2 network cards

I have no idea :? , how do you check that and turn it on if it isn't? (see, total newbie :wink: )

hmm, thought it'd work like it is now, without router.
About that shell, how do you get in it? I'll give it a try as soon as I have a little spare time, I'm kinda busy with school for the moment, exams :?

I'll add you one of these days if I don't get any wiser :)
thx in advance

Flibble
01-26-2003, 11:47 PM
About that shell, how do you get in it?

Press the [K] on the menu bar where [Start] would be in an inferior OS ( ;> ). Select the KNOPPIX entry, and from the submenu select root shell. You might also want to give the Network Configuration entry from the same submenu a try. Might be easier than ifconfig (at least at first, better to know the cli in the long term though).