PDA

View Full Version : what software do i use on the knoppix cd to compress files?

reecegeorge
10-02-2003, 01:21 AM
hi there,

what software do i use on the knoppix cd to compress files? I want to be able to squash files really small and fit them onto floppy disks.

would be nice if i could also decompress these file types with windows based software

regards,

reece

Superstoned
10-02-2003, 03:25 AM
you can use ark (the standaard kde archiver, just select files and choose compress) - it can use zip (guess you know that?) and RAR which offers better compression. Remember files made under linux work fairly well under winblowz cuz linux is very standard-compliant and easy to port, the problem is the other way around cuz m$ tries to make that difficult so noone uses linux...

reecegeorge
10-02-2003, 03:58 AM
na, didnt know that about ark, thanks.

i know what you mean about competitive opperating systems, in the long run i think they will either have to change their attitude or move over.

thanks for your post,

reece

Superstoned
10-02-2003, 04:02 AM
you're welcome!

And I hope they will change their attitude, but I guess they wont - untill they're gone. Its against their whole philosofy, and by the way - if their software whould be more open (even if not the source, then the specs so others can be compatibble) it whould be too clear how bad the software is they sell, and no-one whould buy... Now you HAVE to use m$ if you want to communicate with others, at least its more difficult with linux... If that barier wasnt there, alot more ppl would be using linux...

reecegeorge
10-02-2003, 04:50 AM
sure, i am forced to use windows for my business computing because of the software I use. thats just the way it is. if i was going to troubleshoot a computer though, there is no doubt in my mind i would automatically grab for the knoppix cd.

even using linux as a rescue cd will get it into the hands of nearly everyone, when they see what it can do. i think the only thing knoppix/linux needs is more better documentation. normal users just get so confused to start with and give up.

the forum is a great resource but i think we need to face the fact that a lot of beginners would be intimidated comming here and posting so-called stupid questions and give up. i think they need the help in a book, not just online.

sure there are lots of books but guess what, i have never read one. and thats simply becuse they dont come with the software. i can hear you saying 'what does he expect for free?" but thats what i rekon abnyway.

Superstoned
10-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Indeed I think Knoppix should be sold boxed with an kind of book ('course not too big) about how to use it. In the netherlands, this month for the second time a computermagazine ships an knoppix-cd with their latest edition, and of course they feature some articles about how to use it. That's how I started using knoppix, too...

reecegeorge
10-02-2003, 09:03 AM
all that i can think of is that sombody might want to become famouse by writing a free instruction manual to go with the cd. might work in .pdf printable format from the k desktop, or seperate download with the .iso. would need to always be up to date so it would mean ongoing commitment. no pay but a lot of publicity. surely there are technical writers who would do it.

its 6pm here in sydney, been working in front of this machine on and off since about 4 this mornin. your english isnt too bad either, better than mine after a lond day

see ya mate

reece

Superstoned
10-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Such a pdf whould be good, but who's gonna write it... Some WIKI whould be nice, I think, so everybody might do a little bit. I think getting it started whould be the most effort...

good night! (guess u're sleeping now?!?!?)

Stephen
10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Indeed I think Knoppix should be sold boxed with an kind of book ('course not too big) about how to use it.

You must have missed this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4899) someone already has a book out.

reecegeorge
10-02-2003, 10:08 PM
back from a big sleep, 6.30am sydney

if eveybody did a bit, that would be great. the big question to start with is what will be included in the book. newbies want to know certain things to get started, with all due respect, they dont need to know about networking to begin with. if they are at the networking stage they can come to the forum and ask.

suggested chapter

how to get knoppix to run on you pc
- system requirements (already done)
- setting the bios to boot from cd
- overcomming hardware conflicts
- setting up a swap file in text mode to run k desktop when you dont have enough ram

thats for starters, there would be a lot more of course but it has to have a lot of screenshots and easy to follow instructions that explain things very simply.

i know there is already info on this stuff but unless you already know a bit about linux, its hard to follow to begin with. it needs to step-by-step stuff

i noticed someone has attempted to start a condenced how to in the documentation section but it hasnt really gotten anywhere. maybe that has some potential for a starting point.

i think it would be good if anybody who contributed to the manual has their name included with their work. have to say thanks some how, eh?

Superstoned
10-06-2003, 03:34 PM
well, if there was a wikki (thats easy) i'd contribute...

Stephen
10-06-2003, 09:10 PM
well, if there was a wikki (thats easy) i'd contribute...

The docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/) on the site here are a wiki so you can already do that.