PDA

View Full Version : I am new in linux I need hdd install help

dreamer1201
10-02-2003, 08:53 AM
I installed Knopix 3.1 on HDD. I used "sudo knx-hdinstall" command. I set Linux partitition on hdb6 (3.3GB) and swap on hdb7(918MB). On hdb1 i have Win98, on hdb5 WinXP. When I set boot from hdb6 it want start. I am new in linux so i need help. Do I have to install LILO, because when i installed it my boot looked like this L01 01 01 01 01 01 01.... Then i boot up from floppy and when i wanted to log in as root it says Failure, when i want to login as Knoppix it says Failure. What should i do, please help me because I like Knoppix and i would like to install it to hdd. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

fingers99
10-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Lilo has probably put inself on the mbr.

If you're using a boot floppy you need to tweak the bios to boot from floppy first, if you're using Lilo, to boot from hard drive. Once you get Lilo up and running, you can tweak it to boot your windows systems, too.

m_yates
10-02-2003, 03:34 PM
What is hda? I haven't dual booted with multiple drives, but I think it may be a problem with being on IDE secondary position. Is BIOS set up to boot from the slave drive first? Another option to try is switching the linux drive to IDE primary and whatever hda is to IDE slave. LILO can then handle booting everything. Also, if you change lilo.conf, make sure to run the command "lilo" afterwards. Otherwise your changes won't be registered.

fingers99
10-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Agreed. Looking at the post again, it looks like there's something (but what?) in the primary master position. This is pretty wierd.........

Paradox
10-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Not an exact answer, but a place to start:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174

This post is how I installed Knoppix to get it to cooperate with WinXP on hda, another windows formatted drive on hdb, and my Knoppix install on hdd.

Works great!