PDA

View Full Version : desktop shortcuts won't save

electronicjason
10-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Desktop shortcuts that I have created do not save upon each reboot of knoppix. When I save my knoppix configuration I select the "save all files on desktop" option and I also have tried to save the shortcuts in my file:/home/knoppix/Desktop directory but they keep disappearing. What gives?

Thanks,
Jason

bobble
10-02-2003, 09:35 PM
You should choose the menu item under Knoppix (in KDE menu), which is called "Create persistent home directory" (or similar). Then you will get get your desktop files back every time, and files placed in your Home directory. Your files is then saved on your harddisk, and you have to write "knoppix home = scan" at the boot prompt. I am sure this is the way to do it, I have played some with this myself. If you also choose "save knoppix configuration" you can write at the boot prompt: "knoppix myconfig=scan home=scan" (this is the easiest, I do that. Or "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/hda1 home=/mnt/hda1" should work too)

Luck

electronicjason
10-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks. Your tip worked.

The new problem is that when I reboot the machine the links are there on my desktop but they don't work. When I click on them an "open with" box comes up. I then open them with the Konquerer browser and it then says "The file or directory does not exist". The funny thing is that the file and directory still do exist! Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

electronicjason
10-05-2003, 05:59 PM
I found out what the problem is. You need to mount the drive before the shortcuts become active. To mount the drive you can right click and select "mount". You need to do this for each reboot. If anybody knows an easy way to automatically mount drives upon restart let me know.