PDA

View Full Version : Bootdisk with ntfs & cloop

juni
10-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Hi,

Is there somewhere bootdisk for ntfs poorman installation booting?
I already try with http://www.skyjammer.com/files/knoppix, but it
did not work with XP ntfs.
-juha

garyng
10-03-2003, 07:34 AM
Hi,

Is there somewhere bootdisk for ntfs poorman installation booting?
I already try with http://www.skyjammer.com/files/knoppix, but it
did not work with XP ntfs.
-juha

since I am the one who made the exe, I am curious to know what did not work.

juni
10-03-2003, 08:45 AM
The w32grub works well and I can start kernel, but the minintfs.gz do not include ntfs module. I tryed add module and I can mount ntfs partition, but it do not found the knoppix file. It found knoppix form fat32 partition or cdrom.

Then I took kernel and initrd from standard bootfloppy and add
the ntfs module in the initrd. I was droped to minimal shell.
And in shell I did something like that:
insmod -f /modules/ntfs.o
mount /dev/hda1 /cdrom -t ntfs -o ro
insmod cloop file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
Last one fails. It was some cloop internal error.

If there are a kernel with static ntfs support and it works with basic initrd,
I would like have it.

-Juha

garyng
10-03-2003, 12:31 PM
With the current KNOPPIX, it is close to impossible. KNOPPIX comes with the 2.4 kernel ntfs driver which has problem with cloop(I haven't tested the latest Sept one) which is what you see. I almost have it working(but I don't know why it is so). What I have tested is to instead of putting the big KNOPPIX on NTFS, I put the whole ISO image on NTFS and changed the linuxrc to do something like this :

mount /dev/hda1 /host
mount /host/knoppix.iso /knoppix_iso -o loop
insmod cloop.o file=/knoppix_iso/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

With this modification, I can get to the command prompt(everything was loading fine including the hardware detection etc.) but stuck when I startx. So there is still something wrong in the file system. Klaus has changed the cloop driver coding lately which may make the above work.

An alternative which I run before is to build my own kernel with the ntfs 2.x driver. If you download the sample miniroot.gz from the above site(which is mine too), you may notice that I have changed the linuxrc to load(and mount) my own kernel tree.

majl
11-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Is there any update on this topic?
I'd also like to place the compressed image on NTFS.

What about the NTFS 2 driver. Are there any plans to include it in knoppix (and it's boot.img)?