PDA

View Full Version : Going where no man ever gone before??

SillyFly
10-03-2003, 01:29 PM
greetings fellow Knoppix customizers.

I am starting this thread as I am starting a very ambitious project (well, for me) - to script and automate the process of re-packing an HD installed Knoppix to a live cd, and maybe even extend it to support making a live-cd out of any Debian system.
hopefully, this would put an end to all of those "how to remaster from an HD-installed Knoppix?" threads.

also, I'd like to use this thread to solve problems I may encounter, and maybe, when I'ts done, recieve feature-requests and such.
(LOL, so much for talking, but it's mostly in my head as of now)

wish me luck, and now - for the first question -
how do I generate a user with an empty password, like root & knoppix have?

rneff
10-03-2003, 02:37 PM
I am embarking on this project too. I am going to be building live CDs on a regular basis, each with an encrypted filesystem that contains different information. The automated proscess will help in the creation of these CDs.

How were you planning on writing this script? I would prefer that we Do NOT use perl. I think that bash shell is fine.

To answer your question about the password, you want to edit the /etc/shaddow file and remove encrypted password (you just blank that part out).

for example:

root:$1$ve.2WRaU$F8FZqVNwcgQftsnWCG5Ig0:12202:0:99 999:7:::
change it to
root::12202:0:99999:7:::

Lets get this project going.

SillyFly
10-03-2003, 04:07 PM
10x.
I love bash scripting, and don't really know perl, so it'll prolly be a bash-only project

Ghandalfar
10-03-2003, 07:10 PM
I'd recommed python for the job ..

I've already created similiar scripts for python and I can only advise against because the whole thing isn't easy to maintain.

I've rewritten scripts in python and I can now automaticly create remasters by just enabling options in config file.

anyway.. I recommend python since it more flexible than bash