PDA

View Full Version : NTFS Conversion

Hotrocket
10-03-2003, 01:31 PM
hey im a new linux user - but im also not the clueiest guy when it comes too reformating harddrives - i dont know - to convert to fat32 (so i can install) - do i have to reformat my HD cause i am running windows XP aswell?

fingers99
10-03-2003, 02:00 PM
I think you need to re-install Windows!

An easier way is either to snag a copy of Partition Magic or use a Mandrake disk (free with umpteen magazines) to resize the NTFS partition. You can then convert the free space into something else and bail out of the Mandy install. :wink:

Superstoned
10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
qtparted does support NTFS-resizing, afaik. its on the knoppix-cd.

you can use it to resize your windowspartition, then create a root (/) and swap partition, and if u want to, a /home, then run the install script... you maybe have to save the configuration in the script, then edit it to have the filesystem u want, then run script & load config etc etc...

xeerex
10-03-2003, 07:48 PM
PowerQuest Partition Magic will solve all those problems without a reformat/reinstall. If you still have Windows installed, you download PM (trial version maybe??) and do what you like with your partitions.

I'd suggest resizing the existing the NTFS to a smaller partition, then allocating the leftover to a new FAT32 partition. Then if you are running the Knoppix CD, you can safely use persistent home, etc. If you are going to do a HD install, you have a non-ntfs partition to start out with.

Hotrocket
10-04-2003, 03:13 AM
thanks guys that helps heaps!!