PDA

View Full Version : Boot now stalls at INIT, new hardware problem??

chrsjav
10-04-2003, 12:11 AM
I thought my CD was bad after the INIT failed at boot, but a new CD and a new version doesn't help. Knoppix has worked before on my machine but i installed a PCMCIA-to-PCI bridge, and now it just stalls at boot.

here's the error:

Setting paths... Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

(I don't know how to find out what that IRQ is, if that's relevant.)

The boot continues until the INIT command stalls. nothing for many, many minutes, then an error message saying INIT failed.

Any ideas? Thanks much in advance :)

Stephen
10-04-2003, 12:31 AM
The interrupt error is not your problem I get that every time when I boot it is because of the via chipset on the motherboard you most likely need drivers for the new hardware you put in and that is where it is hanging when it boots. You should do some searching on the hardware manufacturer's web site for linux drivers and Google Linux (http://www.google.com/linux) is always a good place to start as well.

chrsjav
10-04-2003, 02:39 AM
um i have a K7S5A, a SiS735 chipset. that is not via, is it?

Stephen
10-04-2003, 04:05 AM
um i have a K7S5A, a SiS735 chipset. that is not via, is it?

No it is not, I was only searching on my motherboard so that's most likely why I got all the via results when I noticed it the boot messages. Anyway have you searched for drivers for the bridge what is the make/model?

chrsjav
10-04-2003, 02:17 PM
thanks, but would i need those drivers considering i've used knopppix without them before? and how do i use those drivers, as a command option? when i use 'expert' i still only get the option to specify SCSI before the boot stalls.

fingers99
10-04-2003, 08:15 PM
You might like to try setting the bios to non plug and play OS. This is, at least, worth a go before you do anything else.

chrsjav
10-05-2003, 03:59 AM
Thanks fingers!!! I don't know why, but that fixed it. :)