PDA

View Full Version : New to Knoppix some questions

Jorah
10-04-2003, 04:06 AM
One thing I haven't figured out... I got my Knoppix disk in the mail today, got my WinME machine to boot to the CD, and can use the KDE. Can I save files to the hard drive? I don't want to risk hurting anything on my machine. Do I have to use floppies to store anything I create?

My machine's internal modem isn't recognized (windows software modem) so I'll have to borrow a modem from my wife's Mac to be able to get online.

Can anyone tell me about what to avoid, to keep from hurting the PC?

Thanks!

-Jorah

Stephen
10-04-2003, 05:37 AM
One thing I haven't figured out... I got my Knoppix disk in the mail today, got my WinME machine to boot to the CD, and can use the KDE. Can I save files to the hard drive? I don't want to risk hurting anything on my machine. Do I have to use floppies to store anything I create?

My machine's internal modem isn't recognized (windows software modem) so I'll have to borrow a modem from my wife's Mac to be able to get online.

Can anyone tell me about what to avoid, to keep from hurting the PC?

Thanks!

-Jorah

As you can see I have split your post it is usually best to start a new thread instead of posting in an old one. To answer your question you can write your files to the HD as long as it is formatted with the FAT and not NTFS file system. To avoid hosing the system you would take the normal steps don't format the HD, overwrite files issue commands that you have no idea what they will do just basic things like that Linux will not do anything to your system that you don't tell it to do.

If you need information on what a command does or what a file is for open a console window ( clam shell window on the taskbar) and type man command_or_file to see the manual page for it. If you find a acronym you do not understand like NTFS for instance use dict NTFS to get a description from the dictionary program. You may want to start by reading some of the docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/) on the site.