PDA

View Full Version : I need the boot floppy :(

M_N_M
10-04-2003, 11:19 AM
hi all,

I tried to install knoppix together with my windows xp on my notebook.
I did it with sudo knx-hdinstall , everything good until he asks: "make boot-floppy?", I wasn't able to press "yes" because my laptop has a cdrom OR a floppy.

So if you want to work with the floppy, you got to remove the cdrom and that's also in the other direction :(

Later on, after the hdd install was completed, I created a floppy from windows (that's a floppy for cdrom boot)

Now my question : how can I change this bootdisc to boot from hdd instead of cdrom?

Can somebody upload his disc or other solutions?

Info :
HDA1 (7gb) : NTSF => windows xp
HDA2(300MB) : LINUX SWAP
HDA3(2.6GB) : LINUX => knoppix hdd install

Please help me out of this :)

Thanks!

oscar
10-04-2003, 05:23 PM
after knx-hdinstall you dont need the cdrom or the floppy you are talking about. They are useless for booting linux installed in a linux partition.
If your hd dont let you login into linux or win there is a problem with lilo (linux loader)
Search about reinstalling lilo.

M_N_M
10-04-2003, 05:26 PM
forgot to mention it, I do it with this guide : http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174&start=0

SO lilo isn't installed, win xp is the main O.S and I really do need the floppy disk to enter my knoppix partition :?

Drago
10-04-2003, 06:21 PM
I wonder if you can use knx-install or another utility to install lilo after the fact.

BTW, what do you use to create partitions?

M_N_M
10-04-2003, 07:12 PM
BTW, what do you use to create partitions?
the tool in the beginning of the the knoppix install, it's called CFDISK

anyway.. I'm going to make the floppy on my main pc , going to make exact the same partitions so the bootdisk must be the same for my laptop.. i'll keep you guys up to date (tomorrow, i'm gonna try it)

Grtz

M_N_M
10-05-2003, 12:30 PM
it works now! I used "GRUB" as bootmanager :lol:

sb73542
10-10-2003, 03:59 AM
BTW, floppies DO still work for booting modern Linux distros on a HD. There's a little utility called mkbootdisk, don't know if Knoppix has it; Redhat 9 does. The syntax is something like mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 <kernel_image>. It deal with kernels >1.44 MB, works great!

aay
10-11-2003, 01:28 AM
From CD:
dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

From HD install:
dd if=boot-en.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

ChiJoan
10-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Hi,

Does anyone use V-Comm's Partition Commander 8.0? I need help knowing which Linux distros to choose, as I found out Lindows 4.0 still doesn't work with it. I like what I've seen of Knoppix, and bought the Debian Woody CDs so I'd have more software if I get Knoppix to work with the above partitioning/boot loader I use with my Win98se. I have to keep Win98se because Yahoo/SBCglobal doesn't play nice sometimes, so I have to use their software to diagnoise the problem. :roll:

On another topic, do all Linux users have such good eyes that they don't complain when the font size doesn't get larger even when you tell it to?

Thanks, ChiJoan