PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix for PS2, compiled for MIPS

stelman
10-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Anyone interested in using the Mips version of Linux to create a PS2 knoppix CD? How hard would this be? Any steps in the right direction would be appreciated :)

garyng
10-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Anyone interested in using the Mips version of Linux to create a PS2 knoppix CD? How hard would this be? Any steps in the right direction would be appreciated :)

How does PS2 boot into the CD ? If there is a MIPS based debian distribution tree, it is possible. Things that needs to be changed are(as far as I can tell) :

1. cloop driver(and user space tools), of course it needs to be recompile as I don't think debian comes with it.

2. hardware detection, this shouldn't be needed as PS2 should have well known hardware so instead of doing the detection, just use a fixed module list.

3. What X-server to use ? This I am not sure but I assume there is such a thing.

I am interested in this too but it is not high in my list, Xbox is above it. The reason is that I got the impression that I have to add some hardware before I can use linux on PS2, is that true ? If not, I may switch the order as the form factor of PS2 is much better than XBOX.