PDA

View Full Version : hanging with USB-harddrives

robk
10-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Knoppix 3.3 still hangs at file-transfers to USB 2.0/1.1 HDs. With version 3.0 it worked well, so with SuSE 8.2.

any ideas ?

toni
10-05-2003, 10:00 AM
usb1 works fine in all versions i have tried.
you can mount usb2 using '/sbin/insmod ehci-hcd' but it has corrupting filesystems problems.
In kernel 2.4.23-pre there is a transaction-usb2 fix, and i hope it solve this problem. With 2.6.0-pre "supossely" it works fine.

Another problem i have is with a hard disk instalation, if i create another user, and redirect home for that user to a hardfile on usb disk, it don't works.
It seems that during kernel starting, are mounted first disks (using fstab) and later loaded usb support. And obviously it must be done in inverse order.

robk
10-05-2003, 10:15 PM
thanks
To give more details: The HDs are USB1.1/2.0 drives connected via USB1.1. After starting copying to the drive, the data rate first increases, then the PC hangs (tested with different drives and PCs). Only a reboot is possible to restart. With an older Knoppix it works fine (kernel "2.4.18"), and with SuSE8.2 it works fine too (kernel 2.4.20), so I don`t think it`s a matter of kernel-version ?!