PDA

View Full Version : knoppix-installer on laptop without floppy drive ?

Thefo
10-05-2003, 12:29 AM
I can't seem to get the new script working on a Compaq Armada 7400 laptop which does not have a floppy....it gets to the point where it tries to create the boot disk and mount the floppy and fails everytime. I tried saving the settings using the script menu and then editing the config file and adding Set BOOT_FLOPPY="no" but I can't figure how to get the installer to call this config file.

Sorry if this is a really simple thing, but I'm fairly new to Linux.

Thanks,

Heath

ndrake
10-05-2003, 02:29 AM
There is a "Load Confing" option on the menu. Did you try using that to load your config file?

otacon716
10-05-2003, 04:25 AM
heres a little help from one noob to another (im assuming your new).

Try deleting whatevers on your partition/hard drive that you want to use Knoppix on. then goto this link: http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html and follow those instruction. I used it on my laptop (Ashton Digital passport 2100) that has no floppy drive just DVD/CDRW drive and it worked fine. I had winxp pro on my system so I had to use partition magic to create a swap partition for linux and a logical linux partition for knoppix. When i followed those instructions, knoppix installed LILO and now I have 2 OSes in one system. Now I don't need any floppy disk because LILO takes care of the booting operation and lets me select which OS i want to start.

anyway hope any info helped.

Thefo
10-05-2003, 07:56 AM
I managed to use the script to create a config file and save it in the root directory but I wasn't able to edit the config file from the root console to change the option to NO for the floppy. The config file is just a text file, but I could not seem to edit it from the root console ??