PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix newbie!!!!!!!!!!

pbearseven
10-05-2003, 08:39 PM
I am a newbie so please be patient. I burnt Knoppix on a cd and everytime I try to boot, it says the following:File D:/Knoppix v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO does not reside on a local fixed drive. The source drive,"D" may not be able to supply data fast enough to write to a recorder. This could cause a buffer underrun and result in an unusable disc. Do you wish to continue? I click yes and nothing happens.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong and what I can do to correct it.

Thank you
pbearseven

fingers99
10-05-2003, 10:38 PM
This is a pretty wierd message. Did you set the bios order to boot from CD first?

pbearseven
10-05-2003, 11:04 PM
No I did not. Please tell me how.

thank you
pbearseven

Stephen
10-05-2003, 11:37 PM
No I did not. Please tell me how.

thank you
pbearseven

When you boot you usually see a message telling you something like hit DEL or some other key to enter the setup. Before you do that though you are going to have to burn the disk properly though right now you have burned just the ISO file to the disk. You should look for the option in your burning program to make a bootable disk from an ISO image or something similar. BTW if you are on a high speed connection you may want to download a new ISO the latest version of knoppix is 3.3 on 2003-09-24.

pbearseven
10-06-2003, 01:41 AM
I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it.

pbearseven

xeerex
10-06-2003, 05:53 PM
If you CD-Rom is your D: drive, it sounds to me like you literally burned the iso file onto the CD rather than creating a CD from the iso.

Boot into Windows first, then put the CD in the drive. The go to My Computer and click the CD (D:). What do you see as teh contents?

pbearseven
10-06-2003, 07:35 PM
It says:Files currently on the cd. I double clicked it and it said Windows can't open this file.

pbearseven

xeerex
10-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Umm---it didn't show this:

Knoppix v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO

In the window?

Hmmm....

xeerex
10-06-2003, 08:30 PM
I just re-read your original post again.

What burning software are you using? If I have it, I'll post you a tutorial on exactly what to do.

Also, although it doesn't really matter, what OS are you using?

pbearseven
10-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Roxio Easy CD+DVD Creator Ver. 6
Windows XP Home

pbearseven

xeerex
10-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Ok--this should be fairly easy. :roll:

First make sure that you have put the v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO file somewhere on your hard drive or a partition on your hard drive. Lets say you put in in MyDocuments for ease of explanation.

Next, Roxio should recognize the iso file by default. In simple terms, an iso file is like a compressed file image of a CD. Simply open up My Computer...My Documents and find the v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO file.

Place a blank CD-R or CD-RW in your burner drive and let it spin up for just a sec.

Double click the v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO file which should launch Roxio. Leave everything at the default settings and tell it OK or BURN or whichever one.

Depending on the speed of your drive and pc, you should have a bootable Knoppix Live CD within a few minutes.

Once your burn is finished, close Roxio out and remove the CD from the drive. Label it accordingly.

Place the new Knoppix cd back in your CD-R drive and restart your PC. Most pc's are set to boot in the order of Floppy...CD...Hard drive. Some newer ones don't boot the floppy first which is not necessarily good.

If your burn went well and your BIOS is set to boot check the CD-R drive before the HD, then you should be booting into Knoppix.

**If your pc does not boot to the CD-R prior to the HD, you will need to check your BIOS settings. The BIOS is a set of instructions the PC uses prior to the OS (in simple terms). To enter your BIOS settings, restart the pc. Begin slowly pressing the F2, F4, F8, or DEL keys as the pc boots up but BEFORE you get to the windows logo or the OS selection screen if you are setup to dual boot. Which key works really depends on your particular BIOS so you may have to restart a few times to figure it out.

pbearseven
10-07-2003, 12:37 AM
I did as you said, nothing happens. Do I need to go into the bios or boot menu? Tell me what it is suppose to read and how do I change it if it is wrong.

xeerex, I appreciate your patience, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
pbearseven

Superstoned
10-07-2003, 10:47 AM
at startup, when you see the memory-counter, your processor etc etc (just 1 sec after you hit the 'on;' key on your pc) you will see somewhere "hit DEL to enter setup". If you have an HP pc, or Compaq, its maybe F1 or some other key, you should check the documentation about this.
Then you will enter the BIOS utillity. Its a blue screen, no mouse, just text. Then, I guess its the first or second option, you have to look for "boot sequence" or something like that.
for example, in my bios, it says:
"First Boot Device = CD"
"Second Boot Device = HD1"
"Third Boot Device = HD2"
My old bios told me:
"Bootsequence = cd, hdd"
I could change it into things like "fd, hdd"; "cd, fd, hdd" etc

You MUST ensure the first thing booted is your CD, cuz thats where knoppix is...

But, if you now this much about computers that you never heard of ISO-images, BIOS-screens etc I dont think Linux is something for you. WinBlows does everything to think for you, but in Linux you have to think for yourself, and if you dont know anything you wont really be able to work with it.

Of course its a good thing to learn about it, this way, but remember if you want "a free windows" you are really in the wrong place. Linux is NOT windows, its very different in nature. It's filosofy is power on the users hand, unlike m$ filosofy which is something like money in our hand. They make it as easy as possible, without features and "extra's", and because of the hardware support you never have troubles (exept the crashes, virii, etc etc). And if you have, you're damned, cuz they wont help you (like we, as being part of the linux community, do)

xeerex
10-07-2003, 02:56 PM
===========
I did as you said, nothing happens.
===========

Can you be a little more specific? Does this mean that (1) When you put the cd in the drive and restart the pc, that it just stays black? (2) That the cd spins up and it just sits there (3) That nothing is happening when you try to burn the cd....etc etc.

I have lots of patience to help with M$ problems since I'm fairly good at it albeit a real newbie to Linux; however, please be much more specific.

While I agree somewhat with Superstoned about Linux not being for everyone, Windows is not always the easiest to configure or install depending on what you are doing. It definitely has its quirks, preformance issues, and certainly has its security issues. However, to win users over from M$, even total newbies shouldn't be discouraged. This is the prime group to learn the "right" way the first time around. That's just IMHO though.

j.drake
10-07-2003, 04:40 PM
OK, let me try. What should happen is that you double click the filename Knoppix v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO in Windows Explorer, or your desktop, or wherever it is, and Roxio should then create a bootable CD for you, such that you should be able to put it in the CD-drive and re-boot directly into Knoppix. Apparently, one or more of these things are not happening for you. You do not merely copy the Knoppix v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO file onto a CD, because if you do so, it will not be bootable. If you are following this routine, you should have a bootable disk. If you do not, then there is something wrong with Roxio or your setup. It may also be that some other program snatched the (*.ISO) file extension, in which case you can right-click the Knoppix v3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO file, select "open with", select Choose program, select Roxio Easy CD Creator, or whatever, check the box that says "always use this program to open these files", and click OK.

Another thing you might try is downloading a trial version of Nero, and see if it works any better. Oh, and make sure you are burning to a CD-R, not a CD-RW, and make sure that it has a capacity of 80 minutes or 700 MB. I've had bad luck with RW disks and Knoppix. Also, there are some CD-Rs with lesser capacities (e.g., 650 MB), and I think Knoppix requires the full 700. Lastly, some people have reported problems with burning the latest version of Knoppix. Word search the forum to find these threads and see what they did. Apparently Nero needs some kind of patch, and you need to tell it to overburn or something.

Assuming that you burned the CD correctly, what Superstoned was trying to address was whether your computer will or will not boot from CD. Most computers made within the last few years will do so by default. If yours does not, then you have to edit your BIOS. As Superstoned stated, you generally do this by rebooting and pressing some key. What key you press depends upon your computer, and you need to check the documentation of your computer, or go to the manufacturers' web site. You must press the key in that few seconds between the time that you reset and Windows loads (could be as few as 2 seconds, so be quick, and push the key repeatedly, about once per second). On my HP, the key is F1, on the Dell I use at work, it's another key. Often the computer manufacturer's splash screen will tell you what key to press for setup or boot options at the bottom.

If you successfully pushed the key, the BIOS setup will come up as a text screen, usually white text on blue background or black text on gray. There should be a menu across the top, and one of the items should read boot. Use the cursor keys to highlight this word and look at your choices. If this is your problem, then it will probably indicate to boot from floppy, then the hard drive. You want to change this boot order to make sure that the CD drive is in there before the hard drive. I cannot be more specific, as all computers are different, and I don't even know what type you are using. If you have a floppy drive, and if you have at least 3 slots for the boot order, choose this order: floppy -> CD -> HD, so that you can boot from any of the three. After you do this, look at the bottom of the screen, and it will tell you what key to push to save and exit, probably F10. Then reboot with the Knoppix disk.

If you still can't get anywhere, someone will mail you a Knoppix disk for $5 or so. Check the Knoppix.com website for a list of dealers. If the CD's OK, then check with your manufacturer for changing the BIOS for your particular computer. If nothing else, at least give us the manufacturer and details on your computer, and maybe someone with a similar box can help step you through the BIOS setup.

Good luck!

JD

pbearseven
10-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Here goes, when I boot up with the disc installed, a window pop's up reading 030928_1709(D:)at the top header. In the main body of the window it says: Files currently on the cd, underneath that it says knoppix _v3.2-2003-09-05-en. I double click on knoppix and another window pop's up saying: refer to my Sunday Oct.05, 7:39 post.

j.drake
10-08-2003, 12:16 AM
Sounds to me like the disk did not burn, or that it burned the .iso file. Go to Windows Explorer, click on D:, go to the top, click Tools -> Folder Options -> View. Now, make sure that "Hide file extensions for known file types" (about 5 or so from the top of the list) is unchecked. Click Apply, then OK. Now look at the file in D: Does is now show a (.iso) extension on that one file name? If so, you merely burned a copy of the ISO file onto your disk, which will not boot, and will not help you one bit. (For comparison, I just looked at my 06-06 version of Knoppix 3.2 in Windows Explorer, and it shows to have 5 folders and four files). If you only have the one file with the ISO extension, then take a look at the first two paragraphs of the post I left earlier today.

While you're at it, please tell us what kind of computer you are using and what version of Windows. This will help us to help you if you have trouble booting once the CD is correctly burned.

knoppixnewb
10-09-2003, 11:59 AM
hi!

i am no expert linux guru but i can offer u some info on cool burning software. i use "Alcohol 120%" this program will burn everything from data to ps2 games this software has worked for me with every distro i have downloaded (7 distro's in total). the program is smooth small and fast. ohyer it will copy copy protected cd's,dvd's,ps games,ps2 games and just about anything you can possibly think of. hope it helped.

xeerex
10-09-2003, 09:15 PM
==========
Here goes, when I boot up with the disc installed, a window pop's up reading 030928_1709(D:)at the top header. In the main body of the window it says: Files currently on the cd, underneath that it says knoppix _v3.2-2003-09-05-en. I double click on knoppix and another window pop's up saying: refer to my Sunday Oct.05, 7:39 post.
===========

Your problem is simply one of these:

(1) You burned the iso to CD as opposed to creating a CD from the iso (reference my previous post)

(2) Your PC BIOS is not set to boot to a CD-Rom prior to the HD. This results in Windows booting from the HD first.

(3) You are not actually booting to the CD somehow. You must first put the CD in the drive. From Windows go to Start..Shutdown..Restart. However, you must have problems 1 and 2 solved first.

You may also trying creating a boot floppy if you cannot change your BIOS. There are tutorials here on how to do this.

Roxio will burn an iso in most cases as well as any other program. While I agree that there are better burning programs for specific tasks, Roxio is easy and intuitive enough for newbies. My last 3 copies of Knoppix were burned no problem with Roxio simply because it is set in my registry to recognize iso's by default. :wink:

pbearseven
10-09-2003, 10:06 PM
We did it!!!!!!!!! I used Roxio one more time and again nothing happened, so I downloaded Alcohol 120% and it worked the first time. Do you reckon I did something different with Alcohol? I've been working with Knoppix for a little bit now and ya'll were right, you do have to think!!! If I just could get Alcohol cheaper than fifty bucks. Again I just want to thank all of ya'll for helping me out.

I'll see ya on the flip side.
pbearseven

xeerex
10-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Well, we can't blame that one on Microsoft.... :roll:

The only thing I can figure is that you were actually burning the iso file to the CD with Roxio. Not that I'm defending Roxio at all, but some things never cease to amaze me.

The main thing is that you are able to boot into Knoppix and welcome to the world of Linux with the rest of us newbies!!

xeerex
10-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Oh yeah---if you are a true newbie to Linux, there are several websites to help ya out no matter what distro you try.

Heres a good one to start with:

www.tuxfiles.org

j.drake
10-13-2003, 04:25 PM
That's nice!! I wish I had known about tuxfiles months ago!! Thanks.

JD