PDA

View Full Version : sources.list question

rattler
01-25-2003, 05:34 AM
After installing knoppix on the hdd, I looked at the sources.list file and saw that it had references to stable, testing and unstable. Should I comment out any of those lines or should I be trying to grab software from each one of those sources? How does this work?

RockMumbles
01-26-2003, 04:06 AM
The sources.list is "proper" for knoppix.

I've run into a few packages that wouldn't install unless I ran apt-get like this:
apt-get -t testing "package-name"
( or -t unstable ) otherwise I got dependency errors and couldn't install the package.

HTH

rock

rattler
01-26-2003, 05:49 AM
The sources.list is "proper" for knoppix.

I've run into a few packages that wouldn't install unless I ran apt-get like this:
apt-get -t testing "package-name"
( or -t unstable ) otherwise I got dependency errors and couldn't install the package.

HTH

rock

It does, indeed, help. OTOH, it seems like having to have all those references (stable, testing, unstable) and having to type what you recommend kinda makes knoppix seem like it's built like a house of cards.

One question, though: it doesn't sound like you need to type the above every time, so...when I type just apt-get install whatever, is the whatever going to be updated from stable, testing, or unstable.

At any rate, It's a great distro.

Thanks for your insight.

RockMumbles
01-27-2003, 06:17 AM
I've only run into a few times that I have had to use the " -t testing or -t unstable " install option, I've been playing around with and using debian for about a year or so and just discovered that here on this forum from using knoppix. I think you are correct in saying that with all three releases referenced knoppix is a "mixed bag of goodies" it must need to be that way or it wouldn't.

For example I upgraded fluxbox and to get to 1.13 (??) I had to specify -t unstable, later I found the maintainers site and used his URI in sources.list and went a step beyond sid.

The only places I've had problems is where a package exists in stable and requires KDE2 libs, etc. I use quanta for web pages and the only "official" debian quanta package is in stable, built for KDE 2 so it won't install, I have found debs of quanta 3 but I couldn't figure out the URI for sources.list so I used dpkg to install them, (WARNING in case you don't know, this can raise havock with your system, it is easy to upgrade a package to a non-functional version, std. linux liability release" If you break it you get to keep the pieces" been there, done that)

BTW, If you are looking for non-standard apt-get URI's take a look at apt-get.org there is a whole bunch of stuff there.

HTH

rock