PDA

View Full Version : Installing j2re

bigjohn
10-05-2003, 11:41 PM
Ok, so i've downloaded OOo 1.1 which tell's me that I haven't got a "java runtime environment".

So I download the j2re version 1.4 and when ever I try to install it, using./j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin I just end up with "permission denied" whether this is done as user, user su'd to root or logged in fully as root.

What am I doing wrong, or can anyone tell me of another way of getting the darned thing installed ??

regards

John

Stephen
10-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Ok, so i've downloaded OOo 1.1 which tell's me that I haven't got a "java runtime environment".

So I download the j2re version 1.4 and when ever I try to install it, using./j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin I just end up with "permission denied" whether this is done as user, user su'd to root or logged in fully as root.

What am I doing wrong, or can anyone tell me of another way of getting the darned thing installed ??

regards

John

Did you chmod +x j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin to make the file executable before you tried to run it?

bigjohn
10-06-2003, 01:10 AM
Nope, that's what I could be doing wrong then.

I'll "double away smartly" and try that.

regards

John

bigjohn
10-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Thanks Stephen,

That seems to have done the trick.

Erm, just a quick question though - do you normally have to make script install's executable first or do they normally come ready to execute?

I've only used one once before for "america's army" from a linux format cover disc and seem to recall that that just "did it's thing" (under mandrake)

regards

John

A. Jorge Garcia
10-06-2003, 06:03 PM
Why did you need j2re in the first place? There's a GPL JDK on the CD (gcc's gcj) and a GPL JRE too (blackdown java) I thought....

Regards,

aay
10-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Why did you need j2re in the first place? There's a GPL JDK on the CD (gcc's gcj) and a GPL JRE too (blackdown java) I thought....

Regards,

I'm not sure if the blackdown package will work with OO. Regardless however I have tried to figure out for a long time what differences having java or not having java has for running OO. As far as I can see, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. If I'm wrong here please tell me how. I'd like to know.

Stephen
10-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks Stephen,

That seems to have done the trick.

Erm, just a quick question though - do you normally have to make script install's executable first or do they normally come ready to execute?

John

Yes you usually have to go out of your way to make sure things will execute it's security issue and Debian is very big on security by default. If you were downloading and installing from a debian mirror that would be different the install script would run as a normal part of the install process.