PDA

View Full Version : Save hardware settings to a file for use with other distros?

dokzeus
10-06-2003, 12:01 AM
I've used many different Linux distros and i think that Knoppix has the best hardware detection and configuration hands down. I've tried the knx-hdinstall several times, but have never been satisifed with the results (i like to run a very stripped down Linux). Plus, I'd like to try some of the more exotic Linux distros but i hate all the guesswork involved with the hardware.

My question is, is there any way (like a script) to save all of the hardware settings in a report for future reference? I'd be satisfied with just some hints of what files to save.

Thanks!

garyng
10-06-2003, 02:22 AM
I've used many different Linux distros and i think that Knoppix has the best hardware detection and configuration hands down. I've tried the knx-hdinstall several times, but have never been satisifed with the results (i like to run a very stripped down Linux). Plus, I'd like to try some of the more exotic Linux distros but i hate all the guesswork involved with the hardware.

My question is, is there any way (like a script) to save all of the hardware settings in a report for future reference? I'd be satisfied with just some hints of what files to save.

Thanks!

lsmod gives you a list of loaded modules(mostly hardware drivers). That is all you need to repeat on any other distro.