PDA

View Full Version : "netcardconfig" problem

pankajgadhari
10-06-2003, 07:58 AM
hello friends,
i am doing remastering of knoppix cd, i am adding some network audit tools to it, while configuring network card and giving ip addresses , it does not ping to my gw ( network card is realtek8139), but when i "chroot" the copied knoppix on my harddisk, i am not able to run "netcardconfig" it gives me error like this :-
"cat: /proc/net/dev : No such file or directory"
Xdialog : Error initializing the GUI ....
Do you run under X11 with GTK+ v1.2.0+ installed ?
so pls give me the solution for this , its very urgent
thanking u

rickenbacherus
10-06-2003, 04:26 PM
hello friends,
i am doing remastering of knoppix cd, i am adding some network audit tools to it, while configuring network card and giving ip addresses , it does not ping to my gw ( network card is realtek8139), but when i "chroot" the copied knoppix on my harddisk, i am not able to run "netcardconfig" it gives me error like this :-
"cat: /proc/net/dev : No such file or directory"
Xdialog : Error initializing the GUI ....
Do you run under X11 with GTK+ v1.2.0+ installed ?
so pls give me the solution for this , its very urgent
thanking u

chroot /dev/hdx?
mount -t proc /proc proc

Then hopefully you are able to use netcardconfig For me, instead of selecting DHCP as I normally would I selected 'no' and simply entered the info manually. Not sure why I had to do that or even why it worked but it did. :) Then after you have an ip address, to get X to work you need to do this:

#DISPLAY=yourip:0.0
#export DISPLAY

Then you need to put a copy of a working XF86Config-4 into your chroot /etc/X11.

HTH

pankajgadhari
10-07-2003, 05:50 AM
hello rickenbacherus
i tried whatever u said, but it is still giving that error. now it is giving this
XLIB: connnection to 31.1.1.110:0.0 refused by server
XLIB: no protocol specified

Error initializing the GUI....
Do you run under X11 with GTK+ 1.2.0 installed ?

plz give me the solution for this.
thanks