PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix: XFree86 DRI Support

Lunik3
10-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Just a short question...

is it possible to activate the XFree86-DRI Support in Knoppix, or do i have to recompile the Kernel or update to a higher Version of XFree86?

My Knoppix works as Debian-HDInstall with Radeo9700Pro and Dell 1702FP TFT. :roll:

Thx'n Greetz,
Patrick

My glxinfo:

name of display: :0.0
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float,
GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,
GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x23 16 tc 1 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 0 0 16 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 None
0x24 16 tc 1 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 0 1 0 None
0x25 16 tc 1 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 1 0 None
0x26 16 tc 1 16 0 r . . 5 6 5 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 1 0 None
0x27 16 dc 1 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 0 0 16 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 None
0x28 16 dc 1 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 0 1 0 None
0x29 16 dc 1 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 1 0 None
0x2a 16 dc 1 16 0 r . . 5 6 5 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 1 0 None
[/list]

rickenbacherus
10-06-2003, 05:26 PM
There's always the ati website (http://ati.com/support/driver.html) where you can download drivers for your card. Or, go here (http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/Kano) download the "install-radeon.sh", run the script and see if that doesn't get the driver installed for you.

Lunik3
10-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply!

Can i take the "install-radeon.sh" from Kernel-2.4.21Version?
I use Knoppix 3.3 and Kernel 2.4.22-xfs :roll:

For now i have tried the offical way by ATI, but without a happy end :(
This are my Steps:

At first i downloaded the Driver from ATI.com and build a Debian Package with ALIEN:

alien -i fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.5.i586.rpm

Then i force the Package to my System with:

dpkg --force-overwrite -i fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb

After that, i downloaded the Kernel-Sources 2.4.22-xfs for Knoppix and put it to the System in that way:

cd '/usr/src/'
tar xvjf kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs.tar.bz2

rm linux
ln -s kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs linux

cp /boot/config-2.4.22-xfs linux/.config

cd linux
make oldconfig
make dep

Now i try to compile the Kernel and get an Error-Message:

cd '/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/'
./make.sh

Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
This driver is designed to only work with X4.1.0 or higher.
You can match this by getting Linux kernel 2.4.8 or higher.

What's wrong??? :cry:

Thank's for help,
Patrick

Stephen
10-06-2003, 09:30 PM

For now i have tried the offical way by ATI, but without a happy end :(
This are my Steps:

At first i downloaded the Driver from ATI.com and build a Debian Package with ALIEN:

alien -i fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.5.i586.rpm

Then i force the Package to my System with:

dpkg --force-overwrite -i fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb

After that, i downloaded the Kernel-Sources 2.4.22-xfs for Knoppix and put it to the System in that way:

cd '/usr/src/'
tar xvjf kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs.tar.bz2

rm linux
ln -s kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs linux

cp /boot/config-2.4.22-xfs linux/.config

cd linux
make oldconfig
make dep

Now i try to compile the Kernel and get an Error-Message:

cd '/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/'
./make.sh

Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
This driver is designed to only work with X4.1.0 or higher.
You can match this by getting Linux kernel 2.4.8 or higher.

What's wrong??? :cry:

Thank's for help,
Patrick

Do you have the xlibs-dev package installed?

rickenbacherus
10-07-2003, 12:23 AM

Patrick

Read the script- Kano has done more than just write a script that downloads an .rpm, converts it to a .deb and installs it. I think it's worth a shot. :) Wish I had a 9700Pro to test it on.

Lunik3
10-07-2003, 12:52 AM
i've checked the Script in a Root-Shell without any positive results :cry:

Kanos Script means Error: No ATI RADEON adapter found. :shock:

maybe a problem of the vendor? i do not have the original build, just a hercules thing...

@Stephen

i dont think so... is this a must for ati-driver-compiling?

i know... i should read more :roll:

Lunik3
10-07-2003, 01:07 AM
me again... xlibs-dev and mesa is installed, but no changes

Stephen
10-07-2003, 01:39 AM
i've checked the Script in a Root-Shell without any positive results :cry:

Kanos Script means Error: No ATI RADEON adapter found. :shock:

maybe a problem of the vendor? i do not have the original build, just a hercules thing...

@Stephen

i dont think so... is this a must for ati-driver-compiling?

i know... i should read more :roll:

The error was saying you needed xfree >= 4.1 so I was thinking the dev libraries were not installed, for the no Radeon error you probably have one of those Dell altered chips that they seem to do so much of it would screw up properly working drivers you are trying to install just a hunch but I have read many posts about SB Live chips from them not working because of this so it would not suprise me at all for them to do it to the video chips as well.

Lunik3
10-07-2003, 09:48 AM
I think the error-message has an error :lol:

My system is based on Knoppix 3.3 with XFree 4.3 and i do not have the Dell-Radeon. It is a "normal" build from Hercules. The ATI Website says, that the new Driver Version 3.2.5 detects also the "Powered by ATI" cards. Hmmmm :? but i'm asking me: "how"? right now i have no resonance from ATI's support and i can't see any hard mistakes in my procedure. All libraries are onboard, i have recompiled the Kernel for best results with a Pentium4 and my Dell System Bios has the latest Version too. Everything works well, except the damn accelerated 3d graphics. :cry:

The installation of the Audigy2 was an joy in comparison to the Radeon. :(

Gtx, Pat*

Lunik3
10-08-2003, 07:15 PM
i have compiled my Kernel again and now it is possible to start Kano's Script. But it ends up in a Message who means that the sources are unavailable?!

I try it later again. maybe it's just a short disturbance on her driver-servers?! hope so... :cry:

Gtx, Pat*

Stephen
10-08-2003, 08:25 PM
i have compiled my Kernel again and now it is possible to start Kano's Script. But it ends up in a Message who means that the sources are unavailable?!

I try it later again. maybe it's just a short disturbance on her driver-servers?! hope so... :cry:

Gtx, Pat*

Did you compile the kernel headers and install them when you installled the kernel image? How did you compile Debian method with make-kpkg or standard method? You most likely need the kernel headers what I always do when using make-kpkg in /usr/src/linux:

make menuconfig
fakeroot make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.date_of_compile kernel_image modules_image kernel_headers
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.??.date_of_compile-custom.deb kernel-headers-2.4.??.date_of_compile-custom.deb

When compiling and installing the modules image is usually not built unless you have additional third party modules being compiled.

Lunik3
10-09-2003, 11:34 AM
I have compiled the Kernel in classic way (take a look above), i try it and try it again... :?

But this time with ATI's brand new 3.2.8 Drivers :P

Nils_
10-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Hi,
the install-raedon.sh by kano doesn't work because of missing files. Is there a updated version available today?

I have installed DRI von my knoppixV3.3 with "modprobe radeon". And installed the newstest ATI driver with --force-overwrite, but the system don't use it (I think):

fglrxinfo:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4

Thanks for any help,

Best regards,
Nils, Germany

Lunik3
10-14-2003, 06:39 PM
type glxinfo instead of fglxinfo and search for the row: Direct Rendering

if "Direct Rendering" say's "No", then you have no hardware acceleration active.

and now a question from my side....
how did you install the drivers and what for a radeon model do you own?

Greetings from Frankfurt,
Patrick, Germany

Nils_
10-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi Patrik,
ich schreib trotzdem mal weiter in Englisch, damit andere es auch lesen können (auch wenn's kein supi Englisch ist *G*).

You wrote:
if "Direct Rendering" say's "No", then you have no hardware acceleration active. and now a question from my side....
how did you install the drivers and what for a radeon model do you own?

--------

Direct Rendering is "NO".
I have a ATI Radeon 9500.

I downloaded the driver from schneider... (like the link in install-radeon.sh) and one from ati.de for XFree 4.3
I installed both (firstly one - doesn't work and then the next)

I converted it with alien to a dep-package an installed it with --force-overwrite. After this, I entered "modprobe radeon" - /proc/DRI was now available, so I thought, that it works ... but it doesn't - I coundn't compile fglrx.

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod# ./make.sh

compiling 'firegl_public.c'...
In file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/drivers/char/drm/drm_proc.h:37,
from firegl_public.c:278:
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/drivers/char/drm/drmP.h:932: redefinition of `__cmpxchg'
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/system.h:244: `__cmpxchg' previously defined here
compiling failed - object file was not generated

---

I don't really understand it - why was it priviously defined? Error in Script?

Thanke for help / Danke für deien Hilfe.

Gruss
Nils

P.S. Gibts von diesem install-radeon.sh Script nirgends ne aktuelle Version mit aktuellen Links? Als Linux-Newbie ist das echt schwer zu installieren... :-) *G*

Lunik3
10-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Hi Nils,

sorry für die lange Funkstille, habe die letzten Tage verzweifelt versucht die Radeon Treiber zu installieren... natürlich ohne Erfolg. :(

Im prinzip hängst du genau da, wo ich auch hänge *g*

back to english... ;)

i have the same problem like you. I can't compile the kernel modules. I've downloaded and installed the kernel- sources and headers for the latest knoppix from this link: http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/

I've tried ATI's 3.2.5 and 3.2.8 driver without any luck. ATI's Module-Generator still says that i need a newer Kernel Version, from 2.4.8 up. I can't believe. My Kernel has already DRI and SSE Support compiled.

When i type lsmod in the console, i can see that AGPGART is working well. But the Radeon Module is unused. Should it work for ATI's Binary Driver installation?

Well... i try it again! If something changes to my luck, i will post it soon as possible! ;)

Greetings, Pat*

Nils_
10-17-2003, 05:57 PM
The same.

At the moment I have given up because of my test (Ger: IT-Systemkaufmann / IHK Prüfung)

Maybe I'll try it again in some weeks or if s.th. can help us *G*

Good luck!

Gruss
Nils

Lunik3
10-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Finaly it works!!!! :lol:

I found a description, that helped me to goal:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html

Greetz'n good luck! :wink:
Lunik3

bfree
10-30-2003, 07:10 PM
There seems to be a couple of problems with Kano's script "install-radeon.sh". First is tries to download the dri snapshot from dri.sourceforge.net, but the script has a hardcoded date (just after it has worked out the date) of 20030731 but the sourceforge snapshots only holds up to one weeks worth. Secondly, it wants to download from schneider-digital to get the glx1-linux driver, but instead of trying to get glx1_linux_x4.3.zip it tries to get glx1_linux_X4.3.zip (note the capital X). Fixing those at least looks like it will get you going, I'm running this from CD on someone elses machine which I was testing so I can't follow through with the script to verify it completely (dpkg won't work as I'm on a read-only fs).

A. Jorge Garcia
01-06-2004, 03:36 AM
I'm trying to resurrect an old Gateway PC with the ATI Mach64 3D Rage II AGP graphics card. I can't get XFree86-DRI support on here. Any ideas? I'd like to get accelerated graphics running on here if possible. BTW, glxgears only returns 100 fps....

Also, does anyone know the kano website address? I seem to remember scripts on there for installing scripts on the fly when using the KNOPPIX CD. I'd like to see how this is done.

TIA,

horo
01-06-2004, 09:26 AM
http://kano.mipooh.net

Ciao Martin

A. Jorge Garcia
01-08-2004, 02:17 AM
You know, I just had to reinstall my Dell at home. Now, the last time I did this I used fabianx' nvidia scripts to accelerate my Vanta card and got over 600 fps in glxgears.

It seems that his script doesn't work anymore, so I tried http://kano.mipooh.net OK, I went from 150 to 300 fps but not 600. This is all the same hardware, mind you. I tried posting to http://kanotix.mipooh.net but my registration hasn't gone thru.

How do I get the right drivers? I think fabianx' used the one I needed (4192), but kano doesn't have that one....

Upset,
AJG

horo
01-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi Jorge,

a new star is born: Kanotix, Kano (_the_ german Knoppix guru) will release his new (bugfixed) version in about one week. Maybe it's worth to wait...

Ciao Martin

Stephen
01-08-2004, 09:51 AM
I'm trying to resurrect an old Gateway PC with the ATI Mach64 3D Rage II AGP graphics card. I can't get XFree86-DRI support on here. Any ideas? I'd like to get accelerated graphics running on here if possible. BTW, glxgears only returns 100 fps....

Also, does anyone know the kano website address? I seem to remember scripts on there for installing scripts on the fly when using the KNOPPIX CD. I'd like to see how this is done.

TIA,

I do not think you can get dri on that card but you can try a different driver from Gatos (http://gatos.sourceforge.net/) that you can get here (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12629) you want the ati2 experimental14 then it is just a matter of extracting the archive and coping a couple of files to the proper directory and restarting the X server. From the directory you downloaded too:

tar -xzvf ATI-4.3.0-14.i386.tar.gz
cp /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o.original
cp /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o.original
cp X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o
cp X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o
rm -rf X11R6/
/etc/init.d/kdm restart

For the nvidia driver you mention in the second post if you are using the 5328 one don't use either the 4496 or 4620 I've had good luck with both of them then new one is IMHO useless. To try and get the 4192 I would try a google search if you are thinking the 4590 then you can get it here (http://public.pny.com/quadro/FX3000g/Linux/).

A. Jorge Garcia
01-08-2004, 11:25 PM
OOPS, sorry for the confusion! I am talking about 2 different home office PCs:

(1) Gateway 2000 G6: PII/400 Mach64 + ATI Rage II

and

(2) Dell Dimension 4100: PIII/866 + nv Vanta TNT

On the G6, forget DRI. I can only get 100fps on that PC. The Mach64 is agp, maybe I should try kano's agpart script?

On the Dimension, I did get an nvidia accelerator script (fabianx') to work before. However, it downloads drivers that are not there anymore. I tried all three of kano's nvidia scripts and they all result in 300 fps.

BTW, my lab at school constists of 25

(3) Dell Optiplex GX270s: PIV/2400 + i810, on these DRI worked fine right after apt-get update and I'm getting nearly 1800 fps in glxgears!

What do ya think?

TIA, AJG

Stephen
01-09-2004, 12:47 PM
OOPS, sorry for the confusion! I am talking about 2 different home office PCs:

(1) Gateway 2000 G6: PII/400 Mach64 + ATI Rage II

No I was not confused I understoood you have the two machines the Gatos mentioned above are drivers for the ATI cards I use them in my Celeron 450 with a 3D Rage something I get about 150 you should be able to do better with a real PII although I have ~400mb of ram in it so that may be helping it out.

and

(2) Dell Dimension 4100: PIII/866 + nv Vanta TNT

On the G6, forget DRI. I can only get 100fps on that PC. The Mach64 is agp, maybe I should try kano's agpart script?

On the Dimension, I did get an nvidia accelerator script (fabianx') to work before. However, it downloads drivers that are not there anymore. I tried all three of kano's nvidia scripts and they all result in 300 fps.

BTW, my lab at school constists of 25

(3) Dell Optiplex GX270s: PIV/2400 + i810, on these DRI worked fine right after apt-get update and I'm getting nearly 1800 fps in glxgears!

What do ya think?

TIA, AJG

If you mean the 4363 drivers that Fabian has here (http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/live/) for the live install then the driver is still available at Nvidia (ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4363) all you have to do is take one of Kano's scripts and change the line that says for instance VER=1.0-4496 in the 4496 script and change it to VER=1.0-4363 and save the script then run it and it should work.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Stephen! That's all I needed to hear: a simple fix to kano's or fabianx' script. I'm not up on bash programming, so I was having some trouble deciphering these scripts. Now, this will go a long way to helping me with my driver problem and learning shell programming - cool!

Again, thanx,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
01-10-2004, 02:21 AM
OK, Stephen, I modified one of kano's scripts to use the src files (4363) and url (download.nvidia.com/...) you gave me and still get the same glxgears result.

Could it be that the knoppix install is more efficient than the debian install? No matter which nvidia driver I use, I only get 300 fps now. How is it that I had gotten 600 fps before? How accurate is glxgears?

Is it good enough to have glxinfo read true for DRI and that glxgears returns a higher fps with the drivers than without?

Thanx,