PDA

View Full Version : hda not being found

saxmanbob
10-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Hello,

Newbie problem I'm afraid...

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 (Celeron 800 with 15Gb). Win XP with FAT32

Knoppix works fine if I start with DMA - otherwise it hangs on /etc/ in the startup script.

Unfortunately with DMA enabled no HD is recognised. When I try to add a persistent home on dev/hda I get the problem that "a filesystem must be specified" yet there seems nowhere to specify a filesystem.

I read another post here where HD wasn't found but that seemed to be a problem with a HD exceeding 40Gb.

I followed instructions in that post & ran sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda and get some info, incl (with apologies for proportional font):-

DEvice Boot ... ID System
/dev/hda1 * c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

then I ran

dmseg | grep hda

This gives various info including:-

ide_setup: hda-scsi
IDE0: bm-dma AT 0XEFF0-0XEFF7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio

and also

hda: unknown partition table.

Sorry to be lost!

Rob

sturmmoewe
10-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi

Please do the following. Start KNOPPIX, open a shell and start the command 'sudo cat /proc/partitions'. Please let me know what it gives back.
I have a Toshiba Sattellite Pro 6000 which does not work with the actual KNOPPIX. Inside /proc/partitions only the full harddisk is shown with no partitions. Using 'sudo fdisk -l' instead, I can see all of my partitions (W2K and SuSE Linux).
It seems, that the Linux kernel >= 2.4.21 causes this problem on the Toshibas. With Knoppix 3.2 2003-06-06 (with kernel 2.4.20) my Toshi works.
Sorry, but I have no solution found yet.

Best regards
Sturmmoewe

mnerone
10-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Forgive me...I'm new to Knoppix (though very experienced with RedHat). I've looked around the mirrors...where can I download this 06-06-2003 version of Knoppix so I can use it on my Toshiba laptop?

mnerone
10-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Answered my own question: I found it at http://www.fhh.opensource-mirror.de/knoppix/

Hope this helps somebody...