PDA

View Full Version : modprobe and x11

jnoblesr
10-06-2003, 06:40 PM
I am new to knoppix, I have the iso burned on a cd and when I boot up it goes thru the auto config then it says it can't find modprobe in slot 0, then after that it says it is loading x11.... and then my monitor restarts with nothing on the screen.
I have tried several cheat codes and always the same thing. What am I doing wrong. If I can use knoppix then I will feel better about trying Linux.I really want to get away from windows!!!

thanks, john

rickenbacherus
10-06-2003, 06:59 PM
What video card/chipset do you have? What cheatcodes are you using exactly and how?

jnoblesr
10-06-2003, 11:33 PM
I have a Radeon 7000 32MB video card. The cheat codes I used were in the help menu from the cd. I typed in the codes the way they were listed. I used all the codes from the help menu. I am using a p4 2.4ghz with an asus p4b533 motherboard. I built the computer myself, it runs great but I am interested in using Linux. I did not want to remove the windows xp installed now so I wanted to run Knoppix from the cd. I downloaded the file and burned the iso, then I went into the bios to have the computer boot from the cdrom. All the cheat codes ended up the same way. With the monitor restarting and nothing showing.

I am thankful for any help you can give me. John

rickenbacherus
10-07-2003, 02:39 AM
Well.....I still have no idea how you entered the cheat codes but I can say that my Radeon 7200 works just fine and is autodetected. It may be that your monitor is causing the troubles. What kind of monitor and what resolution do you usually use?

Try this:

boot: knoppix lang=us xmodule=ati

You can also add more parametrs like so:

boot: knoppix lang=us screen=1024x768 xmodule=ati noscsi nopcmcia

There is always the failsafe option too. If nothing else boot like so:

boot: failsafe

jnoblesr
10-08-2003, 01:56 PM
I am happy to say that the failsafe worked, but I did go through the help menu when I had knoppix running and found more cheat codes. I tried noagp and this works .

When knoppix starts up, it loads a screen and at the bottom it says boot:

This is where I have been entering : knoppix noagp, But I use an ASUS motherboard with onboard LAN. Now I can not find a way to have knoppix find this network interface. I have gone into the edit, preferences, adv,and proxies to try to change some settings such as autodetect, etc. So far nothing has worked.

I just wanted to thank you - Rickenbacherus - for the failsafe option!!
I am having fun just going through the different settings and such. If you or anyone has a fix to load the network from the motherboard please help!!!

thank again, John

Dave_Bechtel
10-08-2003, 03:27 PM
--Post results of ' lspci -v ', you should see something like this:

00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev 82)
Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
Memory at cfffa000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Expansion ROM at cffc0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

But I use an ASUS motherboard with onboard LAN. Now I can not find a way to have knoppix find this network interface. I have gone into the edit, preferences, adv,and proxies to try to change some settings such as autodetect, etc. So far nothing has worked.

I just wanted to thank you - Rickenbacherus - for the failsafe option!!
I am having fun just going through the different settings and such. If you or anyone has a fix to load the network from the motherboard please help!!!

thank again, John

jnoblesr
10-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Do I open a console and type in lspci-v ??? I have not seen the code you posted.

thanks for the help, john

Stephen
10-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Do I open a console and type in lspci-v ??? I have not seen the code you posted.

thanks for the help, john

Yes open the console and type it in.

jnoblesr
10-08-2003, 11:40 PM
I opened up the shell konsole and typed in lspci - v , this is what it said

bash: /sbin/lspci: Input/output error.

I also notice after I type in knoppix noagp and knoppix starts to load it says at the top of the screen: pci device 00:1f.1 resource collision. I wonder if this is what is stopping the onboard network from being detected?

Thanks again, John

Dave_Bechtel
10-09-2003, 02:52 PM
--Wow, that made my head hurt. Lspci shouldn't be getting i/o errors.

--Try adding a ' pci=biosirq ' to the cheatcodes you're using and see if that gets around the resource coll. And FYI, it's ' lspci -v ' without the quotes. (lspci space dash v.)

Usage: lspci [<switches>]

-v Be verbose
-n Show numeric ID's
-b Bus-centric view (PCI addresses and IRQ's instead of those seen by the CPU)
-x Show hex-dump of the standard portion of config space
-xxx Show hex-dump of the whole config space (dangerous; root only)
-s [[<bus>]:][<slot>][.[<func>]] Show only devices in selected slots
-d [<vendor>]:[<device>] Show only selected devices
-t Show bus tree
-m Produce machine-readable output
-i <file> Use specified ID database instead of /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
-M Enable `bus mapping' mode (dangerous; root only)
-P <dir> Use specified directory instead of /proc/bus/pci
-H <mode> Use direct hardware access (<mode> = 1 or 2)
-F <file> Read configuration data from given file
-G Enable PCI access debugging

I opened up the shell konsole and typed in lspci - v , this is what it said

bash: /sbin/lspci: Input/output error.

I also notice after I type in knoppix noagp and knoppix starts to load it says at the top of the screen: pci device 00:1f.1 resource collision. I wonder if this is what is stopping the onboard network from being detected?

Thanks again, John

jnoblesr
10-09-2003, 06:33 PM
I am going to try this tonight, thanks for the new cheat code.

I am using direcway 2-way satellite for my internet provider. Knoppix does not see the onboard network interface but I can get online using windows. Where do I go to detect the motherboard network interface once Knoppix is running? Everything I have tried tells me - no network card detected. I know this is because one is not installed, just the one on the motherboard. Any way to add this like the windows add/remove hardware?

Knoppix is great! I can't wait to buy another hard drive and load it in for good.

thanks, john

Dave_Bechtel
10-10-2003, 01:40 AM
' ifconfig ' displays the current interfaces.
' netcardconfig ' configures your network settings.
' pppoeconf ' sets up your DSL.

I am going to try this tonight, thanks for the new cheat code.

I am using direcway 2-way satellite for my internet provider. Knoppix does not see the onboard network interface but I can get online using windows. Where do I go to detect the motherboard network interface once Knoppix is running? Everything I have tried tells me - no network card detected. I know this is because one is not installed, just the one on the motherboard. Any way to add this like the windows add/remove hardware?

Knoppix is great! I can't wait to buy another hard drive and load it in for good.

thanks, john