PDA

View Full Version : Finding Hard drives

lgreen
10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
I too am a newbie to Knoppix. I booted up from the CD and everything went great. I am impressed that this OS works so well from the CDRom. My main purpose in trying this program was to recover some files on a secondary hard drive that Windows XP cannot access due to a possibly bad boot sector. (at least that seems like it). What I am trying to do is access this hard drive and copy my data files to CD so that I can reformat that hard drive. My problem is, I cannot find my hard drives with Knoppix. I tried a search, but my C, D, & E drives do not show up. Only the Knoppix drive shows. Am I looking in the wrong place, or do I need to do something different at boot up. Everything else in Knoppix seems to work.

fingers99
10-06-2003, 08:16 PM
You're looking in the wrong place. From the K menu > System > More Programs > File Manager Super User Mode.

Use this to navigate to /etc/fstab

Open fstab in any text editor and remove the # from each line under
# partitions found by Knoppix

one of which will be the hard drive you want. Save the edited file.

Reboot.

then do (as root) mount -t vfat /dev/hd?? /mnt

or mount -t ntfs /dev/hd?? /mnt

depending on whether the file system is vfat or ntfs

the hd?? would be hda for the first hard drive (primary master) hdb for the primary slave and so on. The first partition is represented by hd?1 and so on.

You'll see clues by reading /etc/fstab

lgreen
10-07-2003, 06:19 AM
Thanks so much for the help! I am sure that would have taken me a lot of searching and trial and error to have come up with it. Now, off to resolve my issues.......