PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.2 freezes up

Engon
10-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi, this is my first time using any version of Linux.
Sometimes Knoppix only shows the boot screen and then it goes black and I can hear the CD drive spin down and the monitor hibernates like it is getting no signal. Nothing happens after this so I restart my computer.
The times it gets past the initial screen, it goes to the one with the penguin and after a while, it starts listing the hardware detected and stuff. It also says "cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2948" - is this unusual?
After this screen, I get a screen that is split into three vertical bars. The outside two are black and the middle is white. This voice says "initiated startup sequence" and sometimes a greenish window comes up saying "initializing system services". I can also move the cursor around. After about a minute, that box goes away and noting seems to happen. There doesn't seem to be any further booting going on.
So...What am I-or is my machine-doing wrong? If you need any more details, just ask. Thanks for your time.

rickenbacherus
10-06-2003, 09:22 PM
The cloop errors sound like a bad cd. If you burned the disc yourself- check the md5sum of the .iso you downloaded. If you bought it.......well......

You can also boot like so:

boot: knoppix testcd

It should return something like "everything looks ok here" if the cd is good.

Engon
10-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Hmmm. Checksum faild... And I spent all that time decorating the CD with Sharpies. :wink:
Ok, thanks a lot for the tip.

Engon
10-07-2003, 12:20 AM
I just burned the new 3.3 version and I get the same cloop error, only this time, a desktop and browser window come up but I can't click on anything.
testcd says it's a bad checksum again. could my burning software be causing this? I am using the nero6 version that came with the drive. Before it starts writing, it alerts that it will have to finalize the data to make it fit on the cd(700mb disc).

Stephen
10-07-2003, 01:16 AM
I just burned the new 3.3 version and I get the same cloop error, only this time, a desktop and browser window come up but I can't click on anything.
testcd says it's a bad checksum again. could my burning software be causing this? I am using the nero6 version that came with the drive. Before it starts writing, it alerts that it will have to finalize the data to make it fit on the cd(700mb disc).
You need a patch to Nero it has problems you can get it here (http://www.nero.com/us/631998579711357.html). The check sum error can be caused by a bad download you can get a program here (http://www.karenware.com/powertools/pthasher.asp) to check the ISO before you burn it.

Engon
10-07-2003, 03:33 AM
The patch wont install, says it's only for 5.5.10.50 and I updated to 5.5.10.54 (not 6 like I thought earlier). :?
I just tried ISO Recorder Power Toy and I get the same checksum error.
Hasher says the ISO checksum is ok.
Could this be a hardware issue? I have a Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S

Stephen
10-07-2003, 04:36 AM
The patch wont install, says it's only for 5.5.10.50 and I updated to 5.5.10.54 (not 6 like I thought earlier). :?
I just tried ISO Recorder Power Toy and I get the same checksum error.
Hasher says the ISO checksum is ok.
Could this be a hardware issue? I have a Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S

How fast are you trying to burn it I usually never burn over 8x other than that have you had problems burning other disks?

Engon
10-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Never had problems with other disks. I've been burning at 4x. My friend tried burning the iso on his machine and it still doesn't work (Using nero5 as well). Maybe I'lll get him to download an iso and burn it.
Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Stephen
10-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Never had problems with other disks. I've been burning at 4x. My friend tried burning the iso on his machine and it still doesn't work (Using nero5 as well). Maybe I'lll get him to download an iso and burn it.
Thanks for the suggestions tho.
You may want to try another burning program as well I have seen many people on the forum lately having problems with Nero.