PDA

View Full Version : Persistent home on USB 2.0 Flash device

Kenro
10-07-2003, 06:58 AM
I am trying to create a persistent home directory on my USB 2.0 flash media device. It is a PNY Attache, 128 MB drive. When I first booted into Knoppix 3.3, it saw it and went through the whole thing ok, but when I rebooted, it didn't even see the usb drive anymore. I tried it on a friends computer and had the same problem, and he brought his thumbdrive (different brand) to my computer and it worked fine with his home directory. Any suggestions on how I might go about getting this little guy to work?

grimpy
10-07-2003, 05:46 PM
I use a 256Mb PNY Attache with Knoppix 3.3 and I find that it works just fine. I do have to enter "knoppix home=/dev/sda1" at startup in order to set it to my home. I've used it on several different machines and have never had a problem with it.

One possible difference was that I configured it with Knoppix 3.2 but I didn't have to change anything moving to 3.3.

Also, some of the Attaches aren't actually USB 2.0 but USB 1.1 and only claim compatibility with USB 2.0.

Kenro
10-08-2003, 07:21 PM
It seems to work on my friend's laptop, but not on either of our desktop machines, or any of the desktop machines at my school's computer lab. We've tried setting up the home directory on the laptop, and it is still not working on the desktop machines.