PDA

View Full Version : knoppix-installer

CrashedAgain
10-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Maybe this should go under HDD installs but I'm putting it here because it's actually a critical comment on programs in general...that is, writers should pay more attention to what happens if things DON'T go as intended.
What happened...I installed Knoppix 3.3 on my desktop (dual boot, 3G ext2 partition) using knoppix-installer. Everything went OK. I then tried the same on my laptop (dual boot, only 2.25G partition for linux). It got to qtparted, would not allow to write or create any partitions, on exit it just returned to the 'partition your HD or quit' choice screen. It would not go any farther. 'Help' was no help, it just said 'Here you can partition your hard drive'.
I gave up & installed successfully using the old 'knx-hdinstall'.
I'm ASSUMING it was refusing to install because it wanted to have more than 2.25G available....but the user should have been prompted if this was the problem instead of just left hanging at the qtpartition. I'm making this assumption because knx-hdinstall did more or less the same thing. It was even more difficult to solve because the prompts were in German & I was totally new to Linux (still am).
Maybe it doesn't seem like a big thing but it could be what keeps someone from becoming a Linux user.
OK I'm waiting for the flames.

eadz
10-07-2003, 11:31 PM
I had the same thing. This is a known bug:
http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=263

Apparently there is a workaround :

For those guys, who just get to the partition menu and can't go to the main menu, as my installer thinks the partition is not yet, right.

Please do the following steps:

sudo rebuildfstab -r -v # this should add all your partitions
export IGNORE_CHECK=1
sudo knoppix-installer

Then you can also install wihtout swap-partition and also install on a disk, which is smaller then we would need it. However do this onyour own risk .