PDA

View Full Version : How does one use knoppix installer?

Waylander
10-08-2003, 03:35 AM
Any step by steps on it? I mean I don't know if its something I click on, or a command I type, im completely clueless. An explicit walk thru on using the installer and dual booting win xp pro would be great. Down to details like what kind of format I should use, how many partitions etc.

Sorry.

Superstoned
10-08-2003, 04:22 PM
the installer itself should give enough clues, just start it as superuser (open rootconsole in knoppix-menu) by typing knoppix-installer.
Just answer the questions...

you might first partition your hard-disk using qtparted (dunno wheter the installer starts that too?)

bruceg
10-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Boot up yur Knoppix 3.3 CD. Click on the happy penguin on the bottom of your screen (the Da Vinci like penguin!). Open the root console. Type in knoppix-installer.

If you have a current Linux installation - the installer will be able to determine your existing swap partition and Linux partition. My swap is /dev/hda1, Linux gets installed at /dev/hda2. If you don't already have partitions - then you'll need to do that.

I selected debian installation. You can chose Debian or Knoppix. I'm blowing away a SuSE 8.2 Personal installation to go Knoppix/Debian as we speak. Using a Dell Latitude CPx PIII @ 650Mhz purchased from Dell Financial Services off E-Bay.

What a cool way to get an OS-Free Laptop at a good price. And what a good way to install a great Operating System at an even better price.