PDA

View Full Version : ?Accessing vfat HD's from other machines

wrangler007
10-08-2003, 01:59 PM
I have Samba running on my Harddrive install of Knoppix 3.3. Using LinNeighborhood, I have the remote Windoze shares accessible from KDE desktop. I have several machines connecting via a Linksys router in DHCP.

I can't figure out for the life of me how to share 2 vfat partitions on the Linux box with the Win machines. I've got them to show up in "My Network Places" on a Win2K box, but when I try to explore them, I get the message "(x) is not accessible. Permission Denied."

I've looked at the Man's, the HOWTO's, made a new smb.conf, looked at syslinux.cfg, and tried smbmount and mount. I'm using workgroup=WORKGROUP, added Administrator and my Win2k password to users, knoppix, and WORKGROUP in addition to my user name & pw that I use to log in from one Win machine to other Win machines in my domainless network. I also have a Linux laptop which Mandrake assigns to its own workgroup, and I can't browse the knoppix host from there, either.

Just shoot me. I'm stupid. What have I missed? :x

wrangler007
10-08-2003, 04:31 PM
With the following in /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[root]
path = /
public = yes

[FILES]
path = /mnt/hda6
public = yes

[STORAGE]
path = mnt/hda7
public = yes

I have access from Windows to the /root directory (Win2K share name root) and all of the directories and files under it. Replacing ['FILES'] with [hda6] gives the same result; i.e., not able to connect via the network to those vfat volumes from Windows machines

CrashedAgain
10-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Bang! Me too. Bang!
I think I've just been through the same thing. After reading the article on Samba setup in LinuxFormat magazine for the upteenth time & checking http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork, I edited smb.conf under [global] to security = share and under [homes] added path = / . Presto, 'My Network Places' could find everything!
Security=share is not as secure as security = users (especially with the whole drive accessible & set to rw permissions) but it works.
Also, I think you have to have a Linux user account for your Win computer username.
Hope this works. I wish KDE would come up with an easy 'KNetwork' for us simple users who just want to connect a couple of computers together.

wrangler007
10-08-2003, 11:46 PM
AHA! You da Man! I noticed after reading your reply that I was missing a '.' after the path = / under [root]. I can now access /. from my Win2K machine and fool around with the files. I can read them now, but not write. I already had security = share. Under home/knoppix/netscape I double-clicked on bookmarks.html (small file) and it launched in my Mozilla browser in Win2K. I see that as a good sign. Still can't do the vfat drives, though.

I set up users for Administrator and my other Win2K logins around the network. For some reason, I didn't elect to create home directories for each user, so knoppix is the only one I see. I'll go back and check them all for permissions, etc.

I'll also check out your link to see if I can glean something from it.

Thanks a bunch! :lol:

CrashedAgain
10-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Wow! Lucky accidents DO happen. The . was actually the period at the end of the sentence, I didn't know it was important. Maybe it isn't. Anyway, accessing the vfat drives is easy, just mount them under /mnt/hdaxx & they will be accessable through /