PDA

View Full Version : How do you install hardware in Knoppix 3.3?

Waylander
10-08-2003, 02:29 PM
I can boot into it fine, however it does not recognize my Wusb11 ver 2.6 wireless adapter, so I have no internet connection. I did however download the drivers for the adapter, maybe that is what is lacking? Any help would be appreciated.

fingers99
10-08-2003, 05:23 PM
If this is a hard drive install, you really should be posting somewhere else.

You need to build the drivers. What does the readme say? Where are you stuck?

CivilEng
10-08-2003, 10:23 PM
If this is a wireless Ethernet adaptor, you had best pray it isn't based on a 3Com design, those *expleditive* have out and out said that they will not support linux with drivers for their 802.11x cards.

Otherwise, the support typically should be installed. My Asus card works like a dream. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one, but keep us up to date, and don't give up. Linux may equal freedom, but that's at a 30% learning premium.

Civ

CivilEng
10-08-2003, 10:27 PM
So I didn't want to just leave you at that, and did a little looking. If you can figure out the man's Portu-English, a solution for a Debian solution seems to be to follow some instructions on this page:

http://lists.linux-wlan.com/pipermail/linux-wlan-user/2003-January/008912.html

May not help too much if you're not a HD install. Otherwise, you'll have to create your own Knoppix CD, but that's not too tough.

Good luck!

Civ

Waylander
10-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Thanks civil. I am going to fool around with those amtel drivers. I just don't really understand the read me, it seems to be for someone who has a little more existing knowledge than myself.

Wish me luck!

Waylander
10-09-2003, 03:10 AM
I tried the drivers, what I done is copied them from my windows partition to my desktop, opened a terminal, and in the readme it said to type "make config" I did that and it said I do not have permission. I did "su" and tried it as root. Same thing. Maybe I can't install the drivers because I am only booting from the cd?