PDA

View Full Version : tohd=/dev/hda1 to FAT32 then copy to NTFS then use fromhd?

rrolsbe
10-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Would the following work??

1. Use the tohd=/dev/hda1 to get the compressed Knoppix image written to a FAT32 partition.
2. Copy this compressed Knoppix image file to an NTFS partition. Using Bill's Windows
3. Then boot with fromhd=/dev/hda1 using the boot image file previously copied to the NTFS partition in step 2 above.

If the compressed Knoppix image is already on the NTFS partition will the fromhd=/dev/hda1 boot option work?

What will happen if a person used the tohd=/dev/hda1 boot option if /dev/hda1 were a NTFS partition? Will it give you a warning Will Robinson error message? or what?

I would like to get the compressed Knoppix boot image installed onto my NTFS drive at home then boot using the fromhd boot option for faster boots.

Thanks Much In Advance for any help
Ron

Chribu
11-14-2003, 02:06 AM
i read somewhere that it won't boot if it's on a ntfs partition, so i haven't tried

oscar
11-14-2003, 03:01 AM

1. Use the tohd=/dev/hda1 to get the compressed Knoppix image written to a FAT32 partition.
2. Copy this compressed Knoppix image file to an NTFS partition. Using Bill's Windows
3. Then boot with fromhd=/dev/hda1 using the boot image file previously copied to the NTFS partition in step 2 above.

why steps 1 and 2 ?
only
Use windows. Copy your knoppix cd folder \KNOPPIX to NTFS partition
3. Then boot with fromhd=/dev/hda1

garyng
11-22-2003, 06:53 PM

why steps 1 and 2 ?
only
Use windows. Copy your knoppix cd folder \KNOPPIX to NTFS partition
3. Then boot with fromhd=/dev/hda1

Unless the new KNOPPIX has been changed, booting from NTFS is impossible with the stock kernel 2.4 NTFS driver.