PDA

View Full Version : Cannot start further X sessions

lavaman094
10-08-2003, 09:35 PM
I am using KDE and I have a couple users. Today I tried to login to one of the accounts, and the screen went blank and it clicked and then it came back to the KDM login screen.

I deleted that user and added it again. Tried logging in, but no luck...same thing.

I tried the other user, and couldn't login to that user either.

Root is the only user who can login to KDM.

rickenbacherus
10-08-2003, 11:06 PM
I had that problem once....I think what I did was log in as root and set a new password for user:

passwd <username>

HTH

lavaman094
10-08-2003, 11:59 PM
I had that problem once....I think what I did was log in as root and set a new password for user:

passwd <username>

HTH

If it was a password mismatch problem it would say "Failed", but it does not. The login box goes away and it acts like it's switching to that user.

I did try this though, and it did not fix the problem.

Psycosys
10-12-2003, 11:36 AM
I have a similar problem. I'm running V3.3-2003-09-24 and have a couple of users. When I try to login through kdm with any user except root I first get several errors stating something about a DCOP server and then the screen just goes blank and I have to turn off my computer.

At first it would not let me login with a new user but then I changed the password for that user and now this happens.

lavaman094
10-14-2003, 10:08 AM
I have a similar problem. I'm running V3.3-2003-09-24 and have a couple of users. When I try to login through kdm with any user except root I first get several errors stating something about a DCOP server and then the screen just goes blank and I have to turn off my computer.

At first it would not let me login with a new user but then I changed the password for that user and now this happens.

Psycosys, try logging in using the commandline and see what happens...

horo
10-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Hi,

is there enough free disk space? I had this problem when my disk was almost full. Root can login because each file system has 5..10% reserved space for root.

Ciao Martin