PDA

View Full Version : using [url]http://localhost:631[/url]

A. Jorge Garcia
10-09-2003, 12:30 AM
I must be doing something fundamentally wrong when setting up printers with locahost after knx-hdinstall. Is there some trick to it that I should know about?

I cannot print from Kapps (KATE, KWrite, etc.). KATE, or whatever, just freezes after I try to print something right in the middle of the "generating printer data" dialog box every time.

Too bad you can't just use<K><KNOPPIX><CONFIGURE><CONFIGURE PRINTERS> as on the CD boot....or can you?

BTW, I don't think thisis the problem, but all my printers are HP (laserjet 5M, color laserjet 2500, deskjet 930C).

TIA,

fingers99
10-09-2003, 01:23 AM
I'd think that the Laserjets should work, at least. What version of Knoppix are you using? 3.2 works OK (although Cups has completely screwed up the papersize) on my Laserjet 3.

Could this be some networking issue?

Stephen
10-09-2003, 01:57 AM
(although Cups has completely screwed up the papersize) on my Laserjet 3.

Could this be some networking issue?

Check in /etc/papersize for your proper settings it seems to default to a4 you probably want letter.

Jorge: I answered in the other thread but i wiil repeat here you may want to wipe out cups entirely and start over and see if you get a better result. Although now that I am thinking I seem to remember in a thread about the new features of the knoppix-installer you have a knoppix and a debian install the knoppix variety is supposed to act like the cd running so you may want to look into that, just checked here's the thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5297).

fingers99
10-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Check in /etc/papersize for your proper settings it seems to default to a4 you probably want letter.

It is A4, but that's what I want (hey, I'm a European: even in the UK letter has been obsolete for more than 20 years). What happens is that if the page is nearly "full" the printer posts a memory fault and doesn't print a full page. Obviously the memory is there, as it'll often print the rest on a new page.........

This is so wierd :shock: . Any ideas?

A. Jorge Garcia
10-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Remember the whales? Well its seems they're back and at it again....

Anyway, I seem to remember a thread about using the <KNOPPIX><Configure Printer> or an equivalent on a hdinstalled PC. Anyone remember this?

Also, I was going to try knoppix-installer but had to go with knx-hdinstall as I needed a boot disk and I never got that option in knoppix-installer. Now, if I use lilo in mbr with the KNOPPIX option on knoppix-installer how does my new server behave differently than the DEBIAN option? In other words, what are the pros and cons of not installing as DEBIAN? I guess I gain the <KNOPPIX><Configure Printer> and other KNOPPIX behaviors that I want. What do I loose?

TIA

Stephen
10-09-2003, 08:58 PM

It is A4, but that's what I want (hey, I'm a European: even in the UK letter has been obsolete for more than 20 years). What happens is that if the page is nearly "full" the printer posts a memory fault and doesn't print a full page. Obviously the memory is there, as it'll often print the rest on a new page.........

This is so wierd :shock: . Any ideas?

I had similar to that using the driver in knoppix for my printer it would print the test or any other pages up to about 10-15 lines left and then the rest on the next page I went to http://www.linuxprinting.org and got the latest gimp-print.ppd file for my printer and followed the instructions for install and everything worked fine when I setup using that driver.

Stephen
10-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Remember the whales? Well its seems they're back and at it again....

Anyway, I seem to remember a thread about using the <KNOPPIX><Configure Printer> or an equivalent on a hdinstalled PC. Anyone remember this?

Also, I was going to try knoppix-installer but had to go with knx-hdinstall as I needed a boot disk and I never got that option in knoppix-installer. Now, if I use lilo in mbr with the KNOPPIX option on knoppix-installer how does my new server behave differently than the DEBIAN option? In other words, what are the pros and cons of not installing as DEBIAN? I guess I gain the <KNOPPIX><Configure Printer> and other KNOPPIX behaviors that I want. What do I loose?

TIA

I not sure of the exact differences but now that you have the boot floppy you could go ahead and do the knoppix-installer install you have your means to boot the system without lilo in the MBR the boot floppy from the old installer should still boot the new installer system it would use the same kernel and locations on the drive.

fingers99
10-09-2003, 11:32 PM
I had similar to that using the driver in knoppix for my printer it would print the test or any other pages up to about 10-15 lines left and then the rest on the next page I went to http://www.linuxprinting.org and got the latest gimp-print.ppd file for my printer and followed the instructions for install and everything worked fine when I setup using that driver.

Same symptoms as mine: I've snagged the ppd and bookmarked the instructions. Fingers crossed I'll get it working this weekend. Thanks Stephen. :wink:

A. Jorge Garcia
10-10-2003, 12:20 AM
OK, sounds like a plan. BTW, I can't use the WINXP boot loader as I'm not allowed to touch the BIOS or the WINXP partition.... :(

Anyway, I'd like to get rid of all boot floppies if possible. Has anyone out there had a good experience with lilo in the mbr?

TIA,