PDA

View Full Version : Finally made a nice mini (209 mg)

John
01-25-2003, 09:12 PM
As advised I started out with Knoppix-Lite. I stripped out KDE and added Fluxbox. I wanted a mini that would give me a some tools to work and some toys for messing around.

In KDE's place I added:
Abiword + English version
Phoenix (apt-get version)
Flash player (sitting inside Phoenix)
Mplayer
Emelfm
Vim
Flite (small text to speech utility)
gftp
tinyirc
Gkrellm
XPilot
The Gimp
Xchat (if it wasn't already there, can't emember :-))

Knoppix-Lite already had a lot of nice apps, and I left most of them in place.
If anybody wants a copy of it I'll look into puting it up on someone's ftp server.

Next I want t see if I could make an X enabled BBC (sub 50mb) out of Knoppix, again, it wouldn't really be a rescue disk like lnk-bbc, more like a toy with some fun but small apps and light desktop tools.

bhsx
01-25-2003, 11:21 PM
That looks like a lot of the changes i've made to knoppix as well, however, I'm having a hard time switching the default WM.
I've changed it in several places, everywhere I've found in these howtos; but everytime I get it to boot into fluxbox I get an error about kdeinit not found. How do you get rid of that? Also, if you happen to know this... how do you launch an app and make sure it's persistant after launching the WM, a la knoppix-MAME?

I've got a cable modem that I COULD host your iso on, I have a couple of mine on there, but it's slow as heck (128kbs upstream). I'd like to test your's out, nonetheless, you can reply in this forum or email: bhsx AT bhsx DOT yi DOT org

John
01-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Hi bhsx,
I cheated there. I used the /etc/init.d/xsession from Alex's KnopNL -- All I did was replace his path to ICEwm with the path to Fluxbox. It worked fine.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure you need all that 128kbs -- there should be some place on the net where I can dump the iso for people to grab.

My email is l_ttleman@yahoo.com -- if you send me your ftp info I'll upload the iso for you.

John
01-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Here is a screen shot until I find a FTP home for the ISO.
http://cgi-fun.hypermart.net/linux-shots/small_knoppix.jpg

Sigmatador
10-31-2003, 02:21 PM
is this project dead ?

it's exactly what i search maybe:
removing all WM and install fluxbox
HDinstall <=500 mo

erf i'm too lame to do my own remastering, maybe i'll do it someday ^^